Calculate the angle of refraction for a substance

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the angle of refraction for a substance with a critical angle of 50.5 degrees in air. The equation ni * sine() = nr * sine() is needed for this calculation, with ni representing the index of refraction for air, and nr representing the index of refraction for the substance. The conversation also clarifies the correct manipulation of the equation and confirms that the final answer of 1.3 is correct.
cybernerd

Homework Statement

Calculate the angle of refraction for a substance that has a critical angle of 50.5 degrees when that substance is in the air.

Homework Equations

Apparently the equation I need is:

ni *• sine() = nr • sine ()

My problem is, I have no idea how to use this formula or if it's even the right one - my teacher told me to write it down with no explanation.
Please help me, I just need to know what the equation actually tells me - where I am supposed to input data?

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you first need to understand refraction ( see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refraction) This explains where that equation, whihc you have slighlty wrong, comes from.

Do you have part of the question missing, it doesn't seem to make sense?

Alright, I got the correct equation now...it makes a bit more sense with that.

No, that's the question exactly as it was written. My teacher told me to use the index of refraction for air (so, 1.00), the angle of incidence/critical angle (50.5). SInce the refracted angle in 90 degrees from the normal, I was told to use 90.

So if I manipulate the equation (where @ = unknown angle) -

ni (sin@i) = nr (sin@r)
into
sin@i = nr (sin@r) / ni

so

sin50.5 = (1.00)(sin90) / ni
equals
sin50.5 = 1/ ni
or
ni = 1-sin50.5

which gives me an answer of 1.295967, or 1.3

Am I doing this right? Or I am completely on the wrong track?

Typo correction on the last line of the equation:

ni = 1-sin50.5

SHOULD READ

ni = 1 / sin 50.5

That looks right (asuming the arithmatic is correct)
Your original equation didn't have any angles in it - that's what I meant by it being wrong.

Related to Calculate the angle of refraction for a substance

What is the formula for calculating the angle of refraction?

The formula for calculating the angle of refraction is sin(theta_2) = (n_1/n_2) * sin(theta_1), where theta_2 is the angle of refraction, n_1 is the refractive index of the initial medium, n_2 is the refractive index of the final medium, and theta_1 is the angle of incidence.

How is the angle of refraction related to the angle of incidence?

The angle of refraction is related to the angle of incidence through Snell's law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media.

What factors affect the angle of refraction?

The angle of refraction is affected by the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the wavelength of the light passing through the media. It also depends on the properties of the substance, such as its density and temperature.

Can the angle of refraction be greater than the angle of incidence?

Yes, the angle of refraction can be greater than the angle of incidence. This happens when light travels from a less dense medium to a more dense medium, such as from air to water. In this case, the light bends towards the normal line, resulting in an angle of refraction that is greater than the angle of incidence.

How is the angle of refraction used in practical applications?

The angle of refraction is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of lenses for glasses, cameras, and telescopes. It is also used in the field of optics for the study of light and its behavior when passing through different media. In addition, the angle of refraction is important in understanding the formation of rainbows and other optical phenomena.