Calculate the area of this pond with functions given for the perimeter

tomwilliam
Homework Statement
See image below. Trying to calculate area of a pond using the functions given for the upper and lower boundaries
Relevant Equations
The equation referred to in the booklet is the definite integral from a to b of f(x) wrt dx = F(b) - F(a)
202f69e6-44cd-42d3-9cd8-9991e47506e5.JPG

So the solution is obviously given here, I'm just trying to understand it. I thought that integrating f(x) from -5 to 5 would give the area under the curve (including the areas below the "pond" at the edges of the image but above y=0. I don't really understand why we are subtracting the integral of g(x).
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
tomwilliam said:
Homework Statement: See image below. Trying to calculate area of a pond using the functions given for the upper and lower boundaries
Relevant Equations: The equation referred to in the booklet is the definite integral from a to b of f(x) wrt dx = F(b) - F(a)

View attachment 346662

So the solution is obviously given here, I'm just trying to understand it. I thought that integrating f(x) from -5 to 5 would give the area under the curve (including the areas below the "pond" at the edges of the image but above y=0. I don't really understand why we are subtracting the integral of g(x).
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks
To get the blue area, you need to subtract from the ##\int_{-5}^5 f(x) dx## the areas ##a## and ##b## and to add to it the area ##c##:
1717884625562.png

This is what subtracting ##\int_{-5}^5 g(x) dx## does.

Likes tomwilliam
Another way to understand the same result is to imagine the area of the pond as a bunch of [blue-shaded] vertical strips, all side by side.

The ##y## extent of the strip at ##x## is given by ##f(x) - g(x)##. The total area of all the strips is then obviously ##\int_{-5}^{5} ( f(x) - g(x) )\ dx##.

Likes tomwilliam