Calculate the athletes's velocity

• Thread starter to143
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, calculating an athlete's velocity involves determining the change in their position over time. This can be done by measuring the distance they have traveled and dividing it by the time it took to cover that distance. Velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, so it is important to take into account the direction of the athlete's movement. This calculation is useful in evaluating an athlete's performance and can also be used to make adjustments and improvements in their training.
to143
A 55kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 5.0m onto a foam-rubber pad. The pole-vaulter comes to rest 0.3s after landing on the pad.

a) Calculate the athletes's velocity just before reaching the pad.
b) Calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter due to the collition.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
We respectfully request that one show some effort and work with respect to the solution of the HW problem.

falls from rest from a height of 5.0m onto a foam-rubber pad . . .

a) Calculate the athletes's velocity just before reaching the pad.
Write the equation that shows the relationship between the change in gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy. Think conservation of energy.

b) constant force exerted
means constant acceleration.

The pole vaulter decelerates constantly for 0.3s. Compare this with how long it took to fall 5.0 m.

O.K. So this is what I have done so far:

First we calculate the final velocity of the vaulter using kinematics:

[tex]
\[
\begin{gathered}
\Delta x = v_i \Delta t - \frac{1}
{2}g\Delta t^2 {\text{ when }}v_i = 0{\text{ we've got }} \hfill \\
\Delta x = - \frac{1}
{2}g\Delta t^2 {\text{ and}} \hfill \\
\Delta t = \sqrt {\frac{{2\left( {{\text{5}}{\text{.0}}} \right)}}
{g}} = 1.0{\text{s}} \hfill \\
{\text{Now we can find the final velocity using }}v_f = v_i - g\Delta t: \hfill \\
{\text{a) }}v_f = - 9.81\left( {1.0} \right) = - 9.81{\text{m/s}}{\text{.}} \hfill \\
{\text{b) }}F\Delta t = m\left( {v_f - v_i } \right) \Rightarrow F = \frac{{55\left( {0 + 9.81} \right)}}
{{0.3}} = 1798{\text{N}}{\text{.}} \hfill \\
\hfill \\
{\text{But according to the back of the book both of them a wrong}}{\text{.}} \hfill \\
\end{gathered}
\]
[/tex]

Thanks!

PS: Sorry about that.

[tex]
\[
{\text{Got it }}v_f = \sqrt {2gh}
\]
[/tex]

depending on sig figs your velocity might be wrong.
also you could have gotten it faster using:
[tex]v_f^2=v_i^2+2a\Delta x[/tex]

you also switched the values in your formula for average force:
[tex]F_{net}=\frac{m}{\Delta t}(v_f-v_i)[/tex]

also your values for the final/initial velocity are wrong, you want final/initial velocity for the collision. -9.81 m/s will be your Initial velocity (because that is the speed at which the pole vaulter approaches the floor). You need final velocity, you know it takes .3s you know the acceleration it's experiencing so you can find the final velocity and plug that in.

Edit: hm..actually I don't think you need to do this last part, you only need to do it when the object bounces back up. your signs are just wrong in your final answer.

Last edited:
sig figs issues :cry:

Thank you!

to143 said:
[tex]
\[
{\text{Got it }}v_f = \sqrt {2gh}
\]
[/tex]
Yes. Initially, one can use mgh = 1/2 mv2, since the object is in freefall from rest, so all the gravitational potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, and given the same mass, then gh = v2/2.

Slowing down is faster. Starting at v, the mass slows over [itex]\Delta{t}[/itex] for an average acceleration (or deceleration) of a = [itex]\Delta{v}[/itex]/[itex]\Delta{t}[/itex] = v/[itex]\Delta{t}[/itex].

Please refer to

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mot.html

and also

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/traj.html

FAQ: Calculate the athletes's velocity

What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance.

How do you calculate an athlete's velocity?

An athlete's velocity can be calculated by measuring the distance they traveled during a specific time period, such as a race, and dividing that distance by the time it took them to complete the race.

What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h) in the metric system, and feet per second (ft/s) or miles per hour (mph) in the imperial system.

How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different measurements. While speed only considers the magnitude of an object's movement, velocity takes into account both the magnitude and direction of movement.

What factors can affect an athlete's velocity?

An athlete's velocity can be affected by a variety of factors such as their physical abilities, training methods, environmental conditions (e.g. wind, terrain), and equipment used (e.g. shoes, clothing).