Calculate the average acceleration of 2 or more objects?

In summary, there is a question about calculating the average acceleration of three objects by adding and dividing them, and if it can be done with any number of objects. The conversation also touches on the concept of logarithms and exponentials in relation to acceleration calculations, and the importance of using a consistent coordinate system. Further clarification or a diagram may be necessary for a more accurate calculation.
mrmazw
can i take calc. the average acceleration (m/s2) of 3 objects by adding them and dividing the answer by 3 if the measuretime is more or less equal for the 3 objects? or what should i do different?
do you not have to take into account that you are adding and dividing logarithms? and can you do it with any number of objects?

Physics news on Phys.org
mrmazw said:
can i take calc. the average acceleration (m/s2) of 3 objects by adding them and dividing the answer by 3 if the measuretime is more or less equal for the 3 objects? or what should i do different?
do you not have to take into account that you are adding and dividing logarithms? and can you do it with any number of objects?

What do you mean by logarithms? Accelerations can be averaged as you say. You will want to do a 3-dimensional average, in general, so calculate the 3 averages (one in each of the x, y and z dimensions, for example).

berkeman said:
What do you mean by logarithms? Accelerations can be averaged as you say. You will want to do a 3-dimensional average, in general, so calculate the 3 averages (one in each of the x, y and z dimensions, for example).

Thank you Berkeman, I made a mistake and meant exponentials. I took several vibration measurements of persons driving cars. Due to the amount of unavoidable variables I wanted to average the x,y,z directions (separately for each of the axis of course) for each of the multiple measurements taken per person. Because acceleration means exponential growth, I thought I could not add them and divide them by the number of measurements, can I?

mrmazw said:
Thank you Berkeman, I made a mistake and meant exponentials. I took several vibration measurements of persons driving cars. Due to the amount of unavoidable variables I wanted to average the x,y,z directions (separately for each of the axis of course) for each of the multiple measurements taken per person. Because acceleration means exponential growth, I thought I could not add them and divide them by the number of measurements, can I?

A constant acceleration results in a linearly increasing velocity, and an exponentially growing displacement. The accelerations are not exponential in themselves.

I'm not understanding what your experiment was, so it's hard for me to give you a firm answer about how to do the math. You also have to be careful about acceleratsions of the drivers and accelerations of the vehicle, and be consistent about what coordinate system you are using. You probably need to use an inertial frame of reference, which would not be the car if it is accelerating or going in a circle.

I guess if you could post a diagram or more clearly state where the sensors were and what the vehicle and driver were doing, we would have a better chance at guiding your calculations.

many thanks for your assistance, it is already very helpfull. if i run into problems with the calc. I will add them to this threat later. thank you

FAQ: Calculate the average acceleration of 2 or more objects?

1. What is the formula for calculating average acceleration?

The formula for calculating average acceleration is: Average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

2. How do you calculate the average acceleration of 2 or more objects?

To calculate the average acceleration of 2 or more objects, you first need to find the final velocity and initial velocity of each object. Then, you can use the formula: Average acceleration = (sum of final velocities - sum of initial velocities) / time.

3. Can you calculate the average acceleration if the objects have different masses?

Yes, the mass of an object does not affect its average acceleration. The average acceleration only depends on the change in velocity and the time it took to change.

4. How does the direction of the objects' motion affect the calculation of average acceleration?

The direction of the objects' motion does not affect the calculation of average acceleration. Average acceleration is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude and not direction.

5. What are the units for average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s²) in the SI system or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system.

Back