Calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a pole-vaulter falling onto a foam-rubber pad and calculating their velocity and the force exerted on them upon impact. The first part involves a kinematics problem and the equation x=1/2(vi+vf)t can be used. The second part involves using the concept of impulse and the average force is calculated to be 3300 N. The minus and plus signs in the calculations indicate direction.
hshphyss
Can anyone help me with this problem? Thank-you

A 87 kg pole-vaulter falls from rest from a height of 6.8 m onto a foam-rubber pad. The pole-vaulter comes to rest 0.30 s after landing on the pad.
(a) Calculate the athlete's velocity just before reaching the pad ( in m/s downward).
(b) Calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter due to the collision (in N upward).

Would you incorporate kinematics in here or not? {x=1/2(vi+vf)t}

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) is a kinematics problem, so you're on the money there. The equation you mention will work just fine.

For part (b), think impulse.

For part a i got 6.8=1/2(0+vf)0.30 using kinematics and i got 45.33 m/s and i also tried -45.33 but neither worked. Did I do the work correctly?

I'm sorry, hshphyss. I lied. The equation you mentioned will work, but you need the time of fall. What you have is the stopping time.

Go back and refigure it as a free fall problem. How fast will something be falling if it starts from rest and falls a distance of 6.8 m? That's the kinematics problem that you solve for the first part. I'm getting 12 m/s.

After that, the time you have for it to stop plus the concept of impulse should give you the average force. I'm getting 3300 N. Remember that minus and plus signs here just indicate direction - and you already know the directions involved.

thank-you so much

FAQ: Calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter

1. How do you calculate the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter?

The constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the pole-vaulter, and a is the acceleration. The acceleration can be determined by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the pole-vaulter to reach that velocity.

2. What factors affect the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter?

The constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter is affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the pole-vaulter, the stiffness and length of the pole, and the angle and height of the jump.

3. How does the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter impact their performance?

The constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter is crucial for their performance as it determines the height and speed at which they can clear the bar. A higher constant force can result in a greater height and speed, leading to a better performance.

4. Can the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter be increased?

Yes, the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter can be increased by increasing the mass or velocity of the pole-vaulter, using a stiffer and longer pole, and improving the technique of the jump.

5. How does air resistance affect the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter?

Air resistance can decrease the constant force exerted on the pole-vaulter as it creates a drag force that opposes the motion. This can be minimized by using a streamlined pole and having a good body position during the jump.