Calculate the elements of the Riemann tensor

In summary, the task is to compute 21 elements of the Riemann curvature tensor in four dimensions, with the remaining elements being able to be produced through symmetries. However, it is possible to derive all the other elements using only 20 independent components, as some elements are known to be zero. A helpful guide for understanding this concept can be found in the 8th heading of the provided link.
zardiac

Homework Statement

Compute 21 elements of the Riemann curvature tensor in for dimensions. (All other elements should be able to produce through symmetries)

Homework Equations

[itex]R_{abcd}=R_{cdab}[/itex]
[itex]R_{abcd}=-R_{abdc}[/itex]
[itex]R_{abcd}=-R_{bacd}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how 21 elements can be enough,
for example
abcd

I am already up to 24 elements and I am not even sure if this is enough to derive all the other ones. Am I missunderstanding something?
According to http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannTensor.html it should be possible, but I really don't see it right now.
Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 20 components of the tensor which can be non-zero. For example R0000 is certainly 0 (why?)

see 8th heading in the following,it will guide you how there are only 20 independent components and not 256 as it might be think(4×4×4×4)
http://www.mathpages.com/rr/appendix/appendix.htm

Ah of course, there are some elements that are zero. I don't know why I didn't checked that first. Thanks for quick replies, I think I got it right now :)

I would suggest using the symmetries and properties of the Riemann curvature tensor to reduce the number of calculations needed. For example, the symmetry R_{abcd} = -R_{bacd} can reduce the number of elements to be calculated by half. Similarly, the symmetries R_{abcd} = R_{cdab} and R_{abcd} = -R_{abdc} can further reduce the number of elements to be calculated. Additionally, the properties R_{abcd} = -R_{abdc} and R_{abcd} = -R_{bacd} can also be used to reduce the number of elements. By using these symmetries and properties, it may be possible to calculate the remaining elements needed to get a total of 21 elements. However, it may also be necessary to use other techniques or methods to fully calculate all the elements of the Riemann tensor. Further research and exploration may be needed in order to fully understand and calculate the Riemann tensor.

Related to Calculate the elements of the Riemann tensor

1. What is the Riemann tensor and why is it important in physics?

The Riemann tensor is a mathematical object that describes how the curvature of space-time changes in different directions. It is important in physics because it is a key component in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which explains the gravitational force and how it affects the motion of objects in space.

2. How is the Riemann tensor calculated?

The Riemann tensor is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor. The process involves taking derivatives of the metric tensor and performing multiple index contractions. It is a complex mathematical calculation that requires advanced knowledge of differential geometry.

3. Can the Riemann tensor be visualized?

Yes, the Riemann tensor can be visualized using diagrams called Penrose diagrams. These diagrams use curved lines to represent the curvature of space-time at different points. They are helpful in understanding the behavior of the Riemann tensor and how it affects the curvature of space-time.

4. What do the elements of the Riemann tensor represent?

The elements of the Riemann tensor represent the curvature of space-time in different directions. Specifically, the components of the Riemann tensor correspond to the amount of curvature in the space-time in the x, y, and z directions, as well as how the curvature changes over time. This information is essential for understanding the effects of gravity on the motion of objects.

5. How is the Riemann tensor used in physics?

The Riemann tensor is used in physics to calculate the curvature of space-time and describe the effects of gravity. It is used in Einstein's theory of general relativity to explain the bending of light around massive objects, the movement of planets around the sun, and the behavior of black holes. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as cosmology, where it helps to understand the expansion of the universe.