Calculate the flow through a plane

In summary, the equation for the flow of a vector through a plane is the integral of the dot product of the vector and the unit normal vector.
brkomir

Homework Statement

Let ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)## be defined as ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)=(-x+y^2+z^3,xe^y,-xze^y+z+1)## and plane ##\Sigma## defined with parameterization ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3u+v)+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2)sinhu,-u^2-v^2+1)## where u,v are elements of a circle in point (0,0) with a radius 1. Orientation of ##\Sigma## is regulated in accordance with parametrization.

Calculate the flow of ##\vec{F}## through plane ##\Sigma##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi there!

I have a problem... I have no idea how to start on this problem? I know that I can replace the x,y,z in ##\vec{F}## with u and v from parameterization ##\vec{r}## but this would give me some massive never ending calculations.

Any other way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can one think of a relevant equation that describes a flow based on the flux through an area?

What is [itex]\vec{F}[/itex]?

Is ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u+v))+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh u,-u^2-v^2+1)## correct?

Astronuc said:
Can one think of a relevant equation that describes a flow based on the flux through an area?

What is [itex]\vec{F}[/itex]?

Is ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u+v))+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh u,-u^2-v^2+1)## correct?

You're probably talking about Gaussian law... but, to be honest with you, I don't know when am I allowed to use it...

Am... there is one little mistake (sorry for that).. it's ##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u)+v)+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh (u),-u^2-v^2+1)##

First, is that really a plane and not a curved surface? I'm not saying it isn't because I haven't checked, but a plane can be written in terms of linear[/b ] functions of the parameters but doesn't have to be . In any case, if it is a plane then the normal vector has constant direction.

The flow of [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z)= f(x, y, z)\vec{i}+ g(x,y,z)\vec{j}+ h(x,y,z)\vec{k}[/itex] through a surface is the integral of the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and the unit normal vector to the surface at each point.

The "normal vector" to a surface given by [itex]\vec{r}(u,v)[/itex] is given by the cross product of [itex]\vec{r_u}\times \vec{r_v}. The unit normal is, of course, that normal vector divided by its own length.

Aaam, I'm not sure if that is a plane or a curved surface. If I would have to guess i'd say it's a curved surface, however i am not really even sure how one can check that?

Ok, but I assume I have to change ##\vec{F}(x,y,z)## into ##\vec{F}(u,v)## or not?

##\vec{r}(u,v)=((1-u^2-v^2)(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u)+v)+u,v+(1-u^2-v^2) sinh (u),-u^2-v^2+1)##

Than ##\vec{r_u}=(-2u(u^2+v^2-1)(sinh^3(u)+v)-2u(u^2+v^2)(sinh^3(u))+v)-3(u^2+v^2-1)(u^2+v^2)sinh^2(u)cosh(u)+1,-(u^2+v^2-1)cosh(u)-2usinh(u),-2u)##

and

##\vec{r_v}=(-u^4+u^2(1-6v^2)-2v(2u^2+2v^2-1)sinh^3(u)-5v^4+3v^2,1-2vsinh(u),-2v)##

is there anything I can do before calculating the normal vector ##\vec{r_u}\times \vec{r_v}## ?? Please say yes :D

Related to Calculate the flow through a plane

1. How do you calculate the flow through a plane?

To calculate the flow through a plane, you need to determine the volume of fluid passing through the plane per unit time. This can be done by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the plane by the average velocity of the fluid passing through it.

2. What units are used to measure flow through a plane?

The most commonly used units for flow through a plane are volume per unit time, such as cubic meters per second or gallons per minute.

3. How does the shape of the plane affect the flow calculation?

The shape of the plane can affect the flow calculation in terms of the cross-sectional area. A larger cross-sectional area will allow for more fluid to pass through, resulting in a higher flow rate.

4. What is the equation for calculating the flow through a plane?

The equation for calculating flow through a plane is Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the plane, and V is the average velocity of the fluid passing through it.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the flow through a plane?

Yes, in addition to the shape of the plane, other factors such as the viscosity of the fluid and the presence of obstacles or turbulence can also affect the flow calculation.

Back