Calculate the Laplace for the Ramp

In summary: The transfer function is Fout(s) = k/s(s + 1/T) = k/(s^2 + s/T). The answer you were given is wrong.
Davelatty
Hi, i am new to Laplace transforms/Algebra. I have been given a worked example by lecture to calculate the Laplace transform for a ramped input into a single pole RC high pass filter.

i have managed to calculate the Laplace for the Ramp and the Laplace for the Filter. however i can't figure out how to get to the final answer. any help would be great.

Dave

a ramped voltage of 5000s/V is inputted into the filter. R = 10K and c= 1u.

hi_pass_rc_sch.gif

[itex] τ = RC = 0.01[/itex]

[tex]\ T(L)= \frac{R}{R +\frac{1}{Jωc}} = \frac{JωRC}{JωRC +1} = \frac{Sτ}{Sτ+1} [/tex]

[tex]\ Fin(L)= \frac{5000}{S^2}[/tex]

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{S^2} . \frac{Sτ}{Sτ+1}[/tex]

The answer on the worked example is

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5}{τ} . \frac{1}{S(\frac{1}{τ}+S)}[/tex] Any help on the steps to get to the final answer would be great :)

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
The constant factor of 5 or 5000 probably has to do with the units you're working in. The rest is just basic algebra. Surely, you've made some attempt. Show what you did.

Davelatty said:
a ramped voltage of 5000s/V is inputted into the filter. R = 10K and c= 1u.
Meaning 5000V/s I presume.
hi_pass_rc_sch.gif

[itex] τ = RC = 0.01[/itex]

[tex]\ T(L)= \frac{R}{R +\frac{1}{Jωc}} = \frac{JωRC}{JωRC +1} = \frac{Sτ}{Sτ+1} [/tex]

[tex]\ Fin(L)= \frac{5000}{S^2}[/tex]

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{S^2} . \frac{Sτ}{Sτ+1}[/tex]

The answer on the worked example is

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5}{τ} . \frac{1}{S(\frac{1}{τ}+S)}[/tex]Any help on the steps to get to the final answer would be great :)

Dave
What you did was correct. The given answer is wrong. The final answer, in any consistent units, must be of the form
Vout(s) = k/s(s + 1/T).
k being the ramp input rate, V/s
T = RC
BTW make your "s" lower case, not upper.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Davelatty
Thanks for the two replies, i will speak to the lecturer on Thursday to see why he gave the answer he did.

I would still like to understand how he ended up with the final answerr, just so i can improve my basic algebra. I have had an attempt but quite quickly get stuck

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{s^2} . \frac{sτ}{sτ+1}[/tex]

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{s^2} . \frac{sτ}{τ(\frac{1}{τ}+s)}[/tex]

do both the τ cancel out ? leaving [tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{s^2} . \frac{s}{(\frac{1}{τ}+s)}[/tex]

Now cancel that numerator s with one in the denominator.

so now i have

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{s} . \frac{1}{(\frac{1}{τ}+s)}[/tex]

but how do i get the s to the denominator on the other side and where does the denominator τ come from ?

Davelatty said:
so now i have

[tex]\ Fout(L)= \frac{5000}{s} . \frac{1}{(\frac{1}{τ}+s)}[/tex]

but how do i get the s to the denominator on the other side and where does the denominator τ come from ?
You don't. It's still wrong.

Related to Calculate the Laplace for the Ramp

1. What is the Laplace transform for a ramp?

The Laplace transform for a ramp function is (1/s^2), where s is the Laplace variable.

2. How do you calculate the Laplace transform for a ramp?

To calculate the Laplace transform for a ramp, you can use the definition of the Laplace transform or the Laplace transform table. First, you need to express the ramp function in terms of the Heaviside step function. Then, use the properties of the Laplace transform to simplify the expression and apply the Laplace transform formula.

3. What is the inverse Laplace transform of (1/s^2)?

The inverse Laplace transform of (1/s^2) is the ramp function itself, given by (t) for t>0 and 0 for t<0.

4. Can the Laplace transform for a ramp be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Laplace transform for a ramp can be used to solve differential equations. It can help in transforming a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve. The inverse Laplace transform can then be applied to obtain the solution in the time domain.

5. What are some applications of the Laplace transform for a ramp?

The Laplace transform for a ramp has various applications, such as in control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It is often used to solve differential equations in engineering and science fields.