Calculate the mass of propane that has been used

In summary, a cylinder containing propane gas with specific dimensions and initial pressure and temperature is partially emptied until reaching a lower pressure. Using the ideal gas law, the mass of propane used can be calculated by finding the difference in moles of gas between the initial and final pressures. Another approach using volume ratios can also be used to determine the mass of propane used. The final result should be 2592.8g with proper consideration of significant figures.
EzaMoo

Homework Statement

A cylinder 1.00 m tall with an inside diameter of 0.120 m is used to hold propane gas (molar mass: 44.1 g.mol-1) for use in a barbeque. It is initially filled with a gas until the gauge pressure is 1.30 x 10^7 Pa and the temperature is 22.0⁰C. The temperature of the gas remains constant as it is partially emptied out of the tank, until the gauge pressure is 2.50 x 10^5 Pa. Calculate the mass of propane that has been used.

Homework Equations

1.. pV = nRT
2.. p1V1 / T1 = p2V2 / T2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am really wrong here but just need a guiding hand...

The volume of the cylinder is 0.11309733m^3
From Eq 1 I get the number of moles = 60 then total mass = 60 x 44.1 = 2643.64g
Then did this again for pressure 2 (2.5 x 10^5 Pa) to get = 50.84g
Difference being 2592.8g of gas used but this seems large.

I then looked at Eq 2 and I got V2 = 0.588m^3
Not really sure where to go with that...

Physics news on Phys.org
Second equation assumes number of moles of gas have not changed - so it is of no use, some of the gas was burnt.

Your first approach looks OK, just check your math again. Mass difference is much larger than you think. Seems like you have problems with position of the decimal point.

Hi Borek,

I typed that wrong! It should be 0.011309733m^3

The final value of 2592.8g was calculate from that figure. So is this what you get?

Obviously when it comes to calculating volume of cylinder I am not better than you

Your result is OK, just watch significant figures.

--

LOL, thanks heaps Borek.

FAQ: Calculate the mass of propane that has been used

1. How do you calculate the mass of propane that has been used?

To calculate the mass of propane that has been used, you need to know the volume of propane used and its density. The formula for calculating mass is mass = volume x density.

2. What is the density of propane?

The density of propane is approximately 0.493 grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) at standard temperature and pressure.

3. How do you measure the volume of propane used?

The volume of propane used can be measured using a gas meter or by converting the weight of the propane used into volume using its density.

4. Can you calculate the mass of propane used without knowing its density?

No, you cannot calculate the mass of propane used without knowing its density. The density is an important factor in the formula for calculating mass.

5. How accurate is the calculation of the mass of propane used?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the measurement of the volume and density of propane. It is important to use precise and accurate measurements for an accurate calculation of the mass of propane used.