Calculate the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam

Deflection.In summary, the conversation involves a structural engineering problem where a beam is supported at two points and subjected to a distributed load and a point load. The given values are E=220GN/m², L=7m, W=20kN at 2m from the left edge, and a uniform distributed load of 10kN/m from x=2 to x=7. The goal is to determine the maximum deflection of the beam at x=3.53m. Various methods were discussed, including using Macaulay's method and Newton's method for solving the cubic equation. Ultimately, the maximum deflection was calculated to be 2.2mm at x=3.53m.
Buzz_Lightyear
E=220GN/m²
L= 7m
W= 20kN at 2m from the left edge.
udl=10kN/m from x=2 to x=7Beam supported in x=0 and x=7

I am not sure ir this is the way to do it.

Attachments

• IMG_20170930_140616.jpg
    IMG_20170930_140616.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 774
  • IMG_20170930_133132.jpg
    IMG_20170930_133132.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 713
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is my post corrected by suggestion of Chestermiller. I would like to thank him for showing me how to do it properly.

1. Homework Statement :

E=220GN/m²
L= 7m
W= 20kN at 2m from the left edge.
udl=10kN/m from x=2 to x=7
Beam supported in x=0 and x=7
width= 20mm
height=40mm

Homework Equations

$$EI\frac{\partial ²y}{\partial x²}=M$$
$$I=\frac{width\times height³}{12}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking moments from R2:

$$R1\times7=20\times5+10\times5\times2,5$$
$$R1=\frac{20\times5+10\times5\times2,5}{7}=32.14kN$$
$$R2=20+50-32.14=37.86kN$$
$$EI\frac{\partial²y}{\partial x²}=32.14x-20\times(x-2)-10\times\frac{(x-2)²}{2}$$
$$EI\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}=\frac{32.14x²}{2}-\frac{20\times(x-2)²}{2}-10\times\frac{(x-2)³}{6}+A$$
$$EIy=\frac{32.14x³}{6}-\frac{20\times(x-2)³}{6}-10\times\frac{(x-2)⁴}{24}+Ax+B$$
If x=0 then y=0 then B=0
If x=7 then y=0:

$$0=\frac{32.14\times7³}{6}-\frac{20\times(7-2)³}{6}-10\times\frac{(7-2)⁴}{24}+A7$$
$$A=-165.5$$

y=max when dy/dx=0

$$0=16.07x²-10x²-40x-40-1.6666(x-2)²\times(x-2)-165.75$$
developing this equation I get:

$$0=-1.6666x³+16.05x²+20x-192.42$$

I am not very sure if this is all right. I didn't spect to get a third grade ecuation for this problem. I don't know how to continue from here

In my opinion your calculation is correct. You have to calculate the x[third degree equation] .For instance:
https://math.vanderbilt.edu/schectex/courses/cubic/ or else
The maximum y you have for x=3.45827 m and then the deflection y=31 cm.

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
Thank you so much. I didn't spect it to get that complicated.

I don't match your moment equation. The shear force is constant at 32.14 out to x = 2. Then, the part at x > 2 kicks in.

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
You are right, Chestermiller .However, since for x<=2 the maximum M(2)=64.28 kNm and for more than 2 -let's say x=3.5 M(3.5)=71.24 it seems to me you may neglect x<2 part.
The problem is to solve the cubic equation. I did it using a simply iterative program in V.B.6 but if you intend to solve it algebric you'll get always a complex number [square_root of -2916]

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
Babadag said:
You are right, Chestermiller .However, since for x<=2 the maximum M(2)=64.28 kNm and for more than 2 -let's say x=3.5 M(3.5)=71.24 it seems to me you may neglect x<2 part.
The problem is to solve the cubic equation. I did it using a simply iterative program in V.B.6 but if you intend to solve it algebric you'll get always a complex number [square_root of -2916]
I totally disagree with all of this. Try it both ways and see what you get. Also, a cubic equation always has one real root. Also, what does your equation predict for the moment at x = 7, where the moment is supposed to be zero?

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
It is a limit on how much can suffer an electrical engineer from the mechanical static calculations. However, because no other mechanical engineer did not dare to do so I tried to start it-at least.:frown:

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
I got x = 3.53 solving it by hand using Newton's method. This required 3 iterations.

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
There are slight differences between computer calculated parameters and by hand
calculated in the last equation [post #2].
y=−1.6666x³+16.05x²+20x−192.420
If we take this equation as correct x=3.461535 y<2E-6
If x=3.53 then y=4.868>0.01 [As it could be still a good error]

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
For the region x > 2, I get the following for the downward displacement:
$$EIy=-288.55-101.42(x-2)+32.14(x-2)^2+2.023(x-2)^3-4.167(x-2)^4$$

At x = 3.53 m, I get a downward displacement of 2.2 mm.

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
Chestermiller said:
I got x = 3.53 solving it by hand using Newton's method. This required 3 iterations.
How do you solve it using Newton's method. At college they only show us how to use Macauly's method.

Newton's Method is a systematic procedure for finding roots of equations . It is not used in any direct way for solving structural problems - it is just useful sometimes for getting solutions to equations which can arise in structural problems .

Macaulay's Method is a systematic procedure for deriving equations for structural problems - but it does not provide any method for solving those equations .

Almost all engineering problems have the same four stages :

(a) Understanding the mechanics of the problem .
(b) Deriving the relevant equations .
(c) Solving those equations .
(d) Verifying the solution obtained .

Different methods are needed for dealing with each stage .

Just for interest - when you have a uniform beam on simple end supports and with any realistic system of unidirectional lateral loads then the point of maximum deflection is always somewhere near the mid point of the beam . This fact can be useful sometimes for finding quick solutions to certain types of problem .

Last edited:
Likes Buzz_Lightyear
nb: Stages (a) and (b) together are commonly described as 'modelling the problem'

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
Buzz_Lightyear said:
How do you solve it using Newton's method. At college they only show us how to use Macauly's method.
Newton's method is a way of solving an equation such as f(x) = 0 for a root, x. It is iterative, and the iterative equation is:
$$x^{n+1}=x^n-\frac{f(x^n)}{f'(x^n)}$$
where ##x^n## is the value of x in the nth iteration. In the calculations I carried out, I used a finite difference approximation to ##f'(x^n)##.

Likes Buzz_Lightyear
Thank you so much for all the ideas and help. It looks that at my level I can use L/2 as the maximum deflection for practical exercises. I was overthinking about how to solve it.

Buzz_Lightyear said:
Thank you so much for all the ideas and help. It looks that at my level I can use L/2 as the maximum deflection for practical exercises. I was overthinking about how to solve it.
They asked for the max deflection, not just the location. Plus, you couldn't possibly have known in advance the location of the max.

FAQ: Calculate the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam

What is a simply supported beam?

A simply supported beam is a type of structural element that is supported at two points, typically at the ends. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects to support loads and resist bending forces.

What is maximum deflection?

Maximum deflection, also known as maximum displacement, is the greatest distance that a beam will bend or sag under a given load. It is an important factor to consider in structural design as excessive deflection can lead to failure or damage of a beam.

How is the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam calculated?

The maximum deflection of a simply supported beam can be calculated using the equation: d = (5WL^4)/(384EI) where d is the maximum deflection, W is the applied load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam. This equation is based on the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory.

What factors can affect the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam?

The maximum deflection of a simply supported beam can be affected by various factors such as the type of material used, the cross-sectional shape and dimensions of the beam, the magnitude and distribution of the load, and the support conditions.

Why is it important to calculate the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam?

Calculating the maximum deflection of a simply supported beam is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of a building or structure. It helps engineers and architects determine the appropriate design and materials to use for a given project, and to ensure that the beam can withstand the expected loads and maintain its structural stability over time.

Back