Calculate the maximum force required to accelerate the box

In summary: Start the box on a horizontal surface, with the glass on top. Each FBD should include the weight, the normal force, and the friction force (if any)In summary, the maximum force required to accelerate the box from rest and not move the glass on its surface on top of the box can be found by calculating the maximum force of static friction for the glass and taking into account the weight and normal force on both the box and the glass. This can be represented in a spreadsheet that can accept any input.
charch

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum force required to accelerate the box from rest and not move the glass on it's surface on top of the box. I am given the mass of the box and glass, and both the static and kinetic coefficients of both objects. I have to create a spreadsheet that can accept any number that is inputted

Homework Equations

Ff=umg, fnet=Fg+Fn+Ff+Fa

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've got the maximum force of static friction for the glass, using the equation F=umg... I am unsure how the box beneath it affects the force applied to the glass

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The maximum force will give you the maximum acceleration, a. The required force must accelerate both masses with acceleration a and oppose the friction force on the box (don't forget the mass of the glass increases the friction force).

Hope this helps.

charch said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum force required to accelerate the box from rest and not move the glass on it's surface on top of the box. I am given the mass of the box and glass, and both the static and kinetic coefficients of both objects. I have to create a spreadsheet that can accept any number that is inputted.

Homework Equations

Ff=umg, fnet=Fg+Fn+Ff+Fa

The Attempt at a Solution

so far I've got the maximum force of static friction for the glass, using the equation F=umg... I'm unsure how the box beneath it affects the force applied to the glass

Hello charch. Welcome to PF !

Draw two free body diagrams; one for the box, one for the glass.

FAQ: Calculate the maximum force required to accelerate the box

What is the formula to calculate the maximum force required to accelerate the box?

The formula to calculate the maximum force required to accelerate the box is F = m x a, where F is the force in newtons, m is the mass of the box in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared.

How is the maximum force related to the mass and acceleration of the box?

The maximum force required to accelerate the box is directly proportional to both the mass and the acceleration of the box. This means that as either the mass or acceleration increases, the maximum force required to accelerate the box will also increase.

What are the SI units for force, mass, and acceleration?

The SI unit for force is newtons (N), mass is kilograms (kg), and acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2).

Can the maximum force required to accelerate the box be negative?

No, the maximum force required to accelerate the box cannot be negative. Since force is a vector quantity, it has a direction and can only be positive or negative depending on the direction of the acceleration.

How can I use the calculated maximum force to ensure the safety of the box during acceleration?

The calculated maximum force can be used to determine the proper strength and durability of materials needed to safely accelerate the box. It can also be used to set limits on the acceleration to prevent damaging the box or causing harm to individuals handling it.