Calculate the moment when the pedal

In summary, the pedal of a bicycle experiences a force of 350 N when the cyclist pushes it downwards. The moment when the pedal is horizontal and when it is 65º below the horizontal can be calculated using the equation M=Fxdxsinθ.
wally25feb
Could someone solve this question please?

The pedal of a bicycle is 18 cm long. When it is pushed downwards by a cyclist it experiences a force of 350 N. Calculate the moment when the pedal is horizontal and then when it is 65º below the horizontal.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
wally25feb said:
Could someone solve this question please?
That would be against the rule - but we can help you to solve it.
The pedal of a bicycle is 18 cm long. When it is pushed downwards by a cyclist it experiences a force of 350 N. Calculate the moment when the pedal is horizontal and then when it is 65º below the horizontal.
So what is the definition of a "moment"?

Hi Simon. Thanks for replying. To cut to the chase,

For horizontal positions:

M=FXd=-350x0.18=-63

For 60 degree position:

M=FXdxsin60=-63xsin60

Am I right?

Thanks

Please show your reasoning... why no angle in the first one and a sin60 on the second one?

Isn't the angle on the second one 65degress?
Isn't this angle below the horizontal?
It helps to sketch the situation.

Sorry, it's 65 deg. My bad. Then 25 degree. Does it make sense now?

It's 65deg the 25deg? No - doesn't make sense.
What are you doing with these numbers?
Did you sketch the situation and resolve the force into radial and tangential components? Or did you work the problem by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action?

I think I have found the solution. Have a look Simon.

Alright, let me put everything in the right order. Moment is the turning effect of a force around a pivot when the applied force is at right angle with the distance from the pivot, it can found by using the following equation:

M=Fxd

However, when the distance is not at right angle with the exerted force, then the perpendicular distance is equal to dxsinθ. Hence, the moment in this case can be calculated as:

M=Fxdxsinθ

I think this is my source of confusion but reading your comment made me reach to another conclusion. The pedal is making a circle motion about the pivot and its distance (18cm) is the radius to the circle. The 350N force is tangent to each point of the circle, resulting the same moment in each point as long as there is no change in 350N force because the radius of a circle is always orthogonal to the tangent at each touching point.

wally25feb said:
The 350N force is tangent to each point of the circle
Not so. The 350N force is always straight down (no cleats, I guess).

M=Fxdxsinθ
Which angle in this theta supposed to be?
Hint: it isn't always the rotation angle of the system.

BTW: you can leave off the multiplication symbol ... it's too confusing.
i.e. the moment is ##\vec{M}=\vec{F}\times\vec{d}## and it has magnitude: ##M=Fd\sin\theta## where ##\theta## is the angle between... [complete the sentence].

Related to Calculate the moment when the pedal

1. What is a moment when calculating the pedal?

A moment when calculating the pedal refers to the force or torque applied by the pedal of a machine or device. It is a measure of the rotational force that is generated when the pedal is pushed or pulled.

2. How is the moment when calculating the pedal measured?

The moment when calculating the pedal is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be calculated by multiplying the force applied on the pedal by the distance from the pivot point (fulcrum) to the point where the force is applied.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the moment when the pedal?

The purpose of calculating the moment when the pedal is to determine the amount of force or torque required to operate a machine or device. It is also used to analyze the efficiency and performance of pedals in various mechanical systems.

4. Can the moment when calculating the pedal be negative?

Yes, the moment when calculating the pedal can be negative if the force is applied in the opposite direction of the desired rotation. This is known as a reverse or counterclockwise moment and can be expressed as a negative value.

5. What factors can affect the moment when calculating the pedal?

The moment when calculating the pedal can be affected by the force applied, the distance from the fulcrum, the angle of the force, and the weight of the object being moved. Friction and other external forces can also impact the moment when calculating the pedal.