Calculate the original speed of the cue ball

In summary, the original speed of the cue ball can be calculated using conservation of momentum equations for both the north and east components of the vectors. The 30.0º angle does not affect the calculations. The total initial momentum must be equal to the total final momentum in both directions.
panders3
A 0.40-kg cue ball makes a glancing blow to a stationary 0.30-kg billiard ball so that the cue ball deflects with a speed of 1.2 m/s at an angle of 30.0º from its original path. Calculate the original speed of the cue ball if the billiard ball ends up traveling at 1.5 m/s.

from its original path. Calculate the original speed of the cue ball if the billiard ball ends up traveling at 1.5 m/s.

I think i just use conservation of momentum here pt initial = pt Final? But the 30.0º from it's original path is throwing me off does it even come into it?

Physics news on Phys.org
panders3 said:
I think i just use conservation of momentum here pt initial = pt Final?
Good.
But the 30.0º from it's original path is throwing me off does it even come into it?
Remember that momentum is a vector. Consider components parallel and perpendicular to the original direction of the cue ball. (You'll end up with 2 equations, one for each component.)

Because my original vector is in only one dimension let's say east then the north of one vector has to equal the south of the other vector. Correct?

Plug in the numbers and solve?

panders3 said:
Because my original vector is in only one dimension let's say east then the north of one vector has to equal the south of the other vector. Correct?
Yes. Since the initial total momentum is zero in the north-south direction, those components of the final momenta must cancel.

Plug in the numbers and solve?
The above will give you one equation. You'll need another for the east components of the final momenta.

and they need to equal the total of the initial vector.

panders3 said:
and they need to equal the total of the initial vector.
Sure. Total momentum is conserved.

FAQ: Calculate the original speed of the cue ball

1. What is the equation for calculating the original speed of a cue ball?

The equation for calculating the original speed of a cue ball is: V0 = (m2/m1) * Vf, where V0 is the original speed, m2 is the mass of the cue ball, m1 is the mass of the object the cue ball collided with, and Vf is the final speed of the cue ball after the collision.

2. How do you determine the mass of the cue ball?

The mass of a standard cue ball is typically 6 ounces or 170 grams. However, if you are using a different type of cue ball, you can determine its mass by using a scale designed for measuring small objects. Simply place the cue ball on the scale and record the measurement in grams.

3. What is the importance of calculating the original speed of a cue ball?

Calculating the original speed of a cue ball is important in understanding the dynamics of a collision between two objects. This information can also be used to analyze the force and energy involved in the collision.

4. Can the original speed of a cue ball be calculated for every collision?

No, the original speed of a cue ball can only be calculated if certain conditions are met. These conditions include a perfectly elastic collision (no loss of kinetic energy) and knowing the mass of both the cue ball and the object it collided with.

5. How can the calculated original speed of a cue ball be used in a game of pool or billiards?

The calculated original speed of a cue ball can be used to improve a player's understanding and control of the game. By understanding the speed and force needed to make a successful shot, a player can adjust their technique to improve their accuracy and consistency.

Back