Calculate the scattering phase sift

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the scattering phase shift for a given potential, specifically v(r)=-a/r +b/r2 for s-wave scattering. The solution of the Schrodinger equation yielded a phase shift of 1, but the physical interpretation of a positive phase shift was unclear. The resulting equation for the s-wave contribution to the differential scattering cross section was found to be 0, indicating no scattering contribution despite a nonzero potential.
sanjibghosh

Homework Statement

calculate the scattering phase sift for given potential
v(r)=-a/r +b/r2( consider only s-wave scattering)
a=+ve constant
b=+ve constant

Homework Equations

phase sift=f(-k,0)/f(k,0)
k2=2mE/[tex]\hbar[/tex]2
r*f(k,r)=solution of schrodinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved the schrodinger equation and i have found that 'phase sift' =1
but physically i did not understand the ans..

Physics news on Phys.org

what does a positive phase shift tells you?

i have found that
exp(2i[tex]\delta[/tex])=1
=>[tex]\delta[/tex]=n*pi ,n=+ve or -ve integer
therefore s-wave contribution to the differential scattering cross section=lim(k2-->0)1/(k2 +k2cot2[tex]\delta[/tex])=0
i do not understand this.potential is nonzero but there is no scattering contribution!

Related to Calculate the scattering phase sift

1. What is scattering phase shift?

Scattering phase shift is a measure of the change in phase of a wave after it has been scattered by a medium or an object. It is used to describe the scattering process in various fields of science, including optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.

2. How is scattering phase shift calculated?

Scattering phase shift can be calculated using the Fresnel equations, which relate the amplitudes of the incident and scattered waves to the refractive indices of the medium and the angle of incidence. It can also be calculated using the scattering matrix, which describes the amplitude and phase changes of the scattered wave.

3. What factors can affect the scattering phase shift?

The scattering phase shift can be affected by various factors, including the properties of the scattering medium or object (such as its refractive index, size, and shape), the wavelength of the incident wave, and the angle of incidence. These factors can cause the phase shift to vary significantly, making it an important parameter to consider in many scientific applications.

4. Why is scattering phase shift important in scientific research?

Scattering phase shift is an important parameter in many scientific research fields, including astronomy, meteorology, and material science. It can provide valuable information about the properties and composition of objects and materials, and can be used to study their interactions with electromagnetic or acoustic waves. It can also help in the development of new technologies and materials.

5. How is scattering phase shift used in practical applications?

Scattering phase shift has many practical applications, such as in remote sensing, where it is used to analyze the composition and structure of the Earth's surface from space. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as ultrasound and optical coherence tomography, to visualize and study tissues and organs. In material science, scattering phase shift is used to characterize and improve the properties of materials, such as in the production of thin films and coatings.

Back