Calculate the Speed of a Baseball with Mass 145g and Kinetic Energy 122 J

• Thread starter njohnson222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation is about a pitcher throwing a baseball towards home plate. The baseball has a mass of 145g and is approaching the plate with 122 J of kinetic energy. The individuals are trying to figure out the speed of the baseball and are discussing the relevant equations.
njohnson222

Homework Statement

A pitcher throws a baseball toward home plate. The baseball, which has a mass of 145g, approaches the plate with 122 J of kinetic energy. Calculate the speed of the baseball.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
njohnson222 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

*ahem*

so what about it?

ummm, how do u figuar it out? We are stumped. I am trying to show a grade 10er how to do this. I don't know this stuff or how to figuare it out.

njohnson222 said:
ummm, how do u figuar it out? We are stumped. I am trying to show a grade 10er how to do this. I don't know this stuff or how to figuare it out.

it has 122J of kinetic energy, what is the formula for kinetic energy?

FAQ: Calculate the Speed of a Baseball with Mass 145g and Kinetic Energy 122 J

1. What is speed and how is it calculated?

Speed is the measure of how fast an object is moving. It is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance/time.

2. How is speed different from velocity?

While speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. In other words, velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of movement.

3. How can I find the speed of an object without knowing the distance or time?

If you do not know the distance or time, it is not possible to accurately calculate the speed of an object. In order to find the speed, you need to have at least two out of the three variables (speed, distance, time) in order to use the formula speed = distance/time.

4. What are some common units of measurement for speed?

Some common units of measurement for speed include kilometers per hour (km/h), miles per hour (mph), meters per second (m/s), and feet per second (ft/s).

5. How can I measure the speed of an object in real-life?

To measure the speed of an object in real-life, you can use a stopwatch or timer to measure the time it takes for the object to travel a known distance. Then, you can use this information to calculate the speed using the formula speed = distance/time. Alternatively, you can use a speedometer if the object is a vehicle moving on a road or track.