Calculate the speed of the Cylinder in the pulley system

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two systems released from rest and calculating the speed of each cylinder. Part A involves using the formula U1 + K1 = U2 + K2 to solve for the speed of a 47-lb cylinder after a 38-lb cylinder drops 5.2 ft. Part B involves replacing the 17-lb cylinder with a 17-lb force and using a reduced mass of 38 to calculate the speed. The final solution is not provided but input is requested on the approach.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Each of the two systems is released from rest. Calculate the speed v of each 47-lb cylinder after the 38-lb cylinder has dropped 5.2 ft. The 17-lb cylinder of case (a) is replaced by a 17-lb force in case (b).

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should use U1 + K1 = U2 + K2

But I'm not quite sure how I should interpret the situation with this formula. I had thought:

47lbf*5.2ft - 55lbf*5.2ft = 0.5*m*v2

But I'm not sure if this is the right way to look at it.

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• dyn 3.110.png
    dyn 3.110.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 957
Physics news on Phys.org
I've managed to figure out part A

m1gh = m2gh + .5m1v2+.5m2v2

(47lb)(5.2ft) = (55lb)(5.2ft) + .5(47lb/32.2)v2 + .5(55/32.2)v2

solving for v gives me:

v = 5.1187 ft/sec

I had thought that for part B I would be able to use the same equation but use a reduced mass, 38 instead of 55 but it doesn't work.

Input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Northbysouth said:
(47lb)(5.2ft) = (55lb)(5.2ft) + .5(47lb/32.2)v2 + .5(55/32.2)v2
Something crossed over there - that would give a negative value for the gain in KE. I guess that was just an error in the post.
I had thought that for part B I would be able to use the same equation but use a reduced mass, 38 instead of 55 but it doesn't work.
That should work. Pls post the details.

FAQ: Calculate the speed of the Cylinder in the pulley system

1. How do you calculate the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system?

To calculate the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system, you need to know the radius of the cylinder, the radius of the pulley, and the rotational speed of the pulley. The formula for calculating speed in a pulley system is: speed = (2 x pi x pulley radius x rotational speed of pulley) / cylinder radius.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system?

Calculating the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system allows you to determine the efficiency of the system and how quickly the cylinder will move. It is also important for understanding the overall performance and functioning of the pulley system.

3. What units are typically used when calculating the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system?

The units used for calculating speed in a pulley system are usually meters per second (m/s) or rotations per minute (RPM).

4. Can the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system be changed?

Yes, the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system can be changed by adjusting the rotational speed of the pulley or by changing the size of the pulley or cylinder.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system?

Other factors that can affect the speed of a cylinder in a pulley system include friction, the weight of the load being lifted, and the angle of the pulley system. These factors may need to be taken into account when calculating the speed of the cylinder.

Back