Calculate the temperature based on Resistance

In summary: I'm not sure if you can use the same heating procedure to calculate the temperature for all the experiments, but it is worth a try.
Elvira
Hello experts...
I have an experiment pool boiling. The test section filled with DI water, and use thin flat copper as the heater that connected to the power supply.

I want to ask how to measure or calculate the heater temperature if I only have the resistance, voltage and current data reading from the power supply.

As I observed it's not accurate if I attach thermalcouple to the surface of the heater, because the temperature will be different in every location (not uniform)

Thank you so much and have a good day

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Short answer: you can't.
Knowing two of R,V,I you can find the rate that energy is dissipated in the heater ... the temperature also depends on the temperature of the surroundings.

Note: since you observe that the temperature reading via a thermocouple is not uniform across the heater, then the heater probably does not have just one temperature to find. Do you have good reason to think the heater should have uniform temperature?

What is the experiment supposed to find out?

Thank you Mr. SImon,
I 've tried to attached thermocouple in the edge and also in the middle, and they both have different reading.
I've read one paper and they mentioned that they just calculate the temperature based on the resistance then calibrate it.
So, I have no idea how will I get the accurate temperature reading for this case. I was thinking to attached the thermocouple on the surface by solder. Then put epoxy for the insulation and get the linear function (excel) then after that I can use the function for all experiment for calculate the temperature based on resistance.

But I am not so sure if I am right. That is why I am asking it here and needs expert opinion like you.
Thank you so much Mr. Simon.

Regards,

:: Vira ::
Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
Short answer: you can't.
Knowing two of R,V,I you can find the rate that energy is dissipated in the heater ... the temperature also depends on the temperature of the surroundings.

Note: since you observe that the temperature reading via a thermocouple is not uniform across the heater, then the heater probably does not have just one temperature to find. Do you have good reason to think the heater should have uniform temperature?

What is the experiment supposed to find out?

The resistance will depend on the temperature distribution, so you can get some measurement. Relating that to a single temperature value will probably not work, as different parts will have a different temperature and the distribution does not have to be the same in all setups. You can calibrate it with the thermocouples, if you follow exactly the same heating procedure every time this should give a reasonable estimate for the temperatures.

The thermocouple has an internal resistance that depends on temperature - you also have a flat metal plate that you are using as a heater: this also has a resistance. The heater plate will, in general, have different temperatures at different places.

The thermocouples are being accurate ... you are getting accurate temperature measurements.
The heater really does have a different temperature at different places.

How you deal with that depends on what the experiment is supposed to be doing.

You may want to look at the COMSOL simulation program. One of their demo samples uses a copper filament and is pretty close to this.

FAQ: Calculate the temperature based on Resistance

1. How do you calculate the temperature based on resistance?

The temperature can be calculated using the formula T = R/R0 * (T0 + ΔT) where T is the temperature in Kelvin, R is the resistance, R0 is the reference resistance at temperature T0, and ΔT is the temperature coefficient of resistance.

2. What is the reference resistance and how is it determined?

The reference resistance, R0, is the resistance of the material at a known temperature, T0. This value is determined experimentally by measuring the resistance of the material at a specific temperature and using it as a reference for future calculations.

3. What is the temperature coefficient of resistance?

The temperature coefficient of resistance is a measure of how much the resistance of a material changes with temperature. It is represented by the symbol ΔT and is typically given in units of ohm per degree Celsius (Ω/°C) or ohm per degree Kelvin (Ω/K).

4. Can this formula be used for all materials?

No, this formula is specific to materials that exhibit a linear relationship between resistance and temperature. It is commonly used for metallic conductors, but may not be accurate for other materials such as semiconductors or insulators.

5. How accurate is this method for calculating temperature?

The accuracy of this method depends on the accuracy of the reference resistance and the temperature coefficient of resistance. It is generally considered to be a reliable method for calculating temperature within a certain range, but may become less accurate at extreme temperatures or for materials with non-linear resistance-temperature relationships.

Back