Calculate the temperature of a mixture

In summary, the question is asking to calculate the final temperature of a mixture of 0.3kg ice at 0°C and 0.3kg water at 75°C, taking into account the specific heat capacity of water and the specific latent heat of fusion of ice. The attempt at a solution resulted in a negative answer, indicating that not all of the ice has melted. The second question asks for the mass of ice remaining.
tyneoh

Homework Statement

Calculate the temperature of a mixture of 0.3kg ice at 0°C and 0.3kg water at 75°C.Find the mass of ice melted

Homework Equations

Specific heat capacity of water: 4200J/kg/°C
Specific latent heat of fusion of ice: 334 000 J/ kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Got a negative answer instead.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

tyneoh said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the temperature of a mixture of 0.3kg ice at 0°C and 0.3kg water at 75°C.Find the mass of ice melted

Homework Equations

Specific heat capacity of water: 4200J/kg/°C
Specific latent heat of fusion of ice: 334 000 J/ kg

The Attempt at a Solution

Got a negative answer instead.
First of all, you have to determine whether the ice melts. If it does not all melt, what is the final temperature?

AM

My attempt resulted in a negative answer, which confuses me as it is quite impossible.Then the second question asked for the mass of ice remaining which made me realize that not all of the ice has melted

FAQ: Calculate the temperature of a mixture

What is the formula for calculating the temperature of a mixture?

The formula for calculating the temperature of a mixture is: T = (m1 x T1 + m2 x T2) / (m1 + m2), where T is the final temperature, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two substances, and T1 and T2 are their respective temperatures.

What information do I need to calculate the temperature of a mixture?

In order to calculate the temperature of a mixture, you will need the masses and temperatures of the two substances that are being mixed.

Can I use this formula for any type of mixture?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of mixture as long as the substances being mixed have known masses and temperatures.

Do I need to convert the units of mass and temperature before using this formula?

Yes, it is important to ensure that all units of mass and temperature are consistent before plugging them into the formula. For example, if one substance's mass is in grams and the other's is in kilograms, you will need to convert one of them to the same unit as the other before calculating the temperature.

What are some practical applications of calculating the temperature of a mixture?

Calculating the temperature of a mixture can be useful in various scientific and engineering fields. For example, it can be used in chemistry experiments to determine the final temperature of a reaction between two substances. In engineering, it can be used to determine the temperature of a liquid after it has been heated or cooled by a heat exchanger. It can also be useful in cooking, to determine the final temperature of a dish after mixing different ingredients.

Back