How to Calculate Train Travel Time with Stops?

• Thread starter tavo0116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time Train
In summary: Yes, that is correct. The train will take 23.99 seconds to reach 95 km/h with an acceleration of 1.1 m/s^2. Now, you can use the same formula to calculate the time and distance involved when the train decelerates at -2.0 m/s^2 to stop at the next station. Then you can repeat this process for each station until you have calculated the total time for the entire trip.
tavo0116
In the design of a rapid transit system, it is necessary to balance the average speed of a train against the distance between stops. The more stops there are, the slower the train's average speed. To get an idea of this problem, calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 trip in two situations. (Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 1.1 until it reaches 95 , then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -2.0 . Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 23.0 .)

a.Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 trip if the stations at which the trains must stop are 1.2 apart (a total of 6 stations, including those at the ends).

b.Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 trip if the stations are 3.0 apart (3 stations total).

Please help me to get started on this problem.
What kind of equation I should us?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
tavo0116 said:
In the design of a rapid transit system, it is necessary to balance the average speed of a train against the distance between stops. The more stops there are, the slower the train's average speed. To get an idea of this problem, calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 trip in two situations. (Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 1.1 until it reaches 95 , then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -2.0 . Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 23.0 .)

a.Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 trip if the stations at which the trains must stop are 1.2 apart (a total of 6 stations, including those at the ends).

b.Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 trip if the stations are 3.0 apart (3 stations total).

Please help me to get started on this problem.
What kind of equation I should us?

Thank you.

Are all these values in metres and m/s and m/s^2 ?

You will use the normal equations, but the trip will be broken into many many parts.
Initial acceleration
Cruise towards 1st stop
Slow for first stop
wait at station
accelerate away
repeat many times: accelerate, cruise, slow, wait, accelerate, cruise, slow, wait etc

Fortunately, each acceleration and deceleration involve the same time - distance so you don't have to recalculate too often.

Sorry for not entering the units.

Here is the one with the correct units.

In the design of a rapid transit system, it is necessary to balance the average speed of a train against the distance between stops. The more stops there are, the slower the train's average speed. To get an idea of this problem, calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 km trip in two situations. (Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 1.1 m/s^2 until it reaches 95 km/h , then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -2.0m/s^2 . Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 23.0 s .)

a. Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 km trip if the stations at which the trains must stop are 1.2 km apart (a total of 6 stations, including those at the ends).

b. Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 km trip if the stations are 3.0 km apart (3 stations total).

I know you've already given me the hints. But I'm really clueless on how I should start.
Please help.

tavo0116 said:
Sorry for not entering the units.

Here is the one with the correct units.

In the design of a rapid transit system, it is necessary to balance the average speed of a train against the distance between stops. The more stops there are, the slower the train's average speed. To get an idea of this problem, calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 km trip in two situations. (Assume that at each station the train accelerates at a rate of 1.1 m/s^2 until it reaches 95 km/h , then stays at this speed until its brakes are applied for arrival at the next station, at which time it decelerates at -2.0m/s^2 . Assume it stops at each intermediate station for 23.0 s .)

a. Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 km trip if the stations at which the trains must stop are 1.2 km apart (a total of 6 stations, including those at the ends).

b. Calculate the time it takes a train to make a 6.0 km trip if the stations are 3.0 km apart (3 stations total).

I know you've already given me the hints. But I'm really clueless on how I should start.
Please help.

Start by converting 95 km/h to m/s, then calculate how long - both time and distance - it takes to accelerate from rest to that speed [at 1.1 m/s^2].
Also calculate the time and distance involved in stopping from 95 km/h at the stated acceleration [-2.0 m/s^2]

So as you stated, I will start by converting all km/h to m/s.
Which then I will get:

95 km/h = 26.39 m/s
6 km = 6000 m
1.2 km = 1200 m
3 km = 3000 m

I will then have the velocity (95 km/h) and acceleration (1.1 m/s^2). Which equation should I use to find distance and the time?

Not sure if this is correct.
I will need to use the formula: V = u + at, where,
V = final velocity
u = initial velocity (0 m/s)
a = acceleration
t = time

When everything's plugged in, I will get the following,
26.39 m/s = 0 m/s x (1.1 m/s^2)(t)
Which then I will get 23.99 seconds as the solution?

tavo0116 said:
Not sure if this is correct.
I will need to use the formula: V = u + at, where,
V = final velocity
u = initial velocity (0 m/s)
a = acceleration
t = time

When everything's plugged in, I will get the following,
26.39 m/s = 0 m/s x (1.1 m/s^2)(t)
Which then I will get 23.99 seconds as the solution?

That looks OK, so each time the train speeds up it takes 24 seconds. How many times does each train speed up?

Also calculate the distance covered during the acceleration. Since you now know v,u,a and t you can use anyone of the other motion equations.

Also calculate time and distance while slowing.

Can I use the d = v x t formula to find the distance?

tavo0116 said:
Can I use the d = v x t formula to find the distance?

NO because the train is not traveling at constant speed during these acceleration phases.

Which equation should I use?

Thank you.

tavo0116 said:
Which equation should I use?

Thank you.

There are 5 equations of motion for movement under constant acceleration.

v = u + at is one of them

can you list any 2 of the other 4?

I remember one..
Is it

d = Vt + (1/2)(a)(t^2) ?

tavo0116 said:
I remember one..
Is it

d = Vt + (1/2)(a)(t^2) ?

That will work, you know all the variables to substitute - though given you said v = u + at earlier, I would have preferred to see either

d = ut + (1/2)(a)(t^2)

or

d = vt - (1/2)(a)(t^2)

I have solved the distance for the acceleration with the formula I posted above,
which gives me 317 m.
For the deceleration, the initial velocity is 26.39 m/s, right? And the final velocity is 0 m/s?
If that is correct, I would get 174 m , and 13.1995 s.

So for question a, the total distance is 6000 m, and 1.2 km apart for all stations, and 23 seconds waiting time,

23 x 6 stations = 138 seconds.

I'm stuck there again..

tavo0116 said:
I have solved the distance for the acceleration with the formula I posted above,
which gives me 317 m.
For the deceleration, the initial velocity is 26.39 m/s, right? And the final velocity is 0 m/s?

So for question a, the total distance is 6000 m, and 1.2 km apart for all stations, and 23 seconds waiting time,

I'm stuck there again..

Draw a long horizontal line across the page.
Put a dot at each end - representing the first and last station.
Now put 4 more dots evenly spaced in the middle - representing the other stations

Immediately after the first station, shade a small section and label it a
Immediately before the second station, shade a small section and label it d
label the section between as c. label the intermediate stations S.

That is "a" for accelerate; "c" for constant speed; "d" for decelerate.

You can label each of the other gaps between stations the same way.

Now you know how long [distance] each acceleration section is, and how long each deceleration section is. From that you will know how long each constant speed section is.

Using d = v*t you can calculate how long [time] it takes to cover that distance.

Now the total trip will be a,c,d,s,a,c,d,s, ... etc
each "a" is 24 seconds long - you already calculated that
each "d" is 13.2 seconds long - you have calculated that
each "S" is 23 seconds long - that was given
each "c" is how ever long you calculate.

Add them all up and that is how long it takes to get from the first Station to the last.

When you have only 1 station along the way, there are fewer bits to sum, and the "c" section takes longer.

PeterO said:
Draw a long horizontal line across the page.
Put a dot at each end - representing the first and last station.
Now put 4 more dots evenly spaced in the middle - representing the other stations

Immediately after the first station, shade a small section and label it a
Immediately before the second station, shade a small section and label it d
label the section between as c. label the intermediate stations S.

That is "a" for accelerate; "c" for constant speed; "d" for decelerate.

You can label each of the other gaps between stations the same way.

Now you know how long [distance] each acceleration section is, and how long each deceleration section is. From that you will know how long each constant speed section is.

Using d = v*t you can calculate how long [time] it takes to cover that distance.

Now the total trip will be a,c,d,s,a,c,d,s, ... etc
each "a" is 24 seconds long - you already calculated that
each "d" is 13.2 seconds long - you have calculated that
each "S" is 23 seconds long - that was given
each "c" is how ever long you calculate.

Add them all up and that is how long it takes to get from the first Station to the last.

When you have only 1 station along the way, there are fewer bits to sum, and the "c" section takes longer.

WARNING: REFRESH! I corrected some key spelling errors!

tavo0116 said:
which gives me 317 m.

I'm stuck there again..

Another way to consider the problem!

Each time you stop at a station, it take 13.2 seconds to pull up, 23 seconds to wait then 24 seconds to accelerate away - a total of 60.2 seconds [I am assuming you time - distance for pulling up is correct.]
In that 60.2 seconds you travel only 174 + 317 = 491m

If instead the train just proceeded through at 95 km/h [ 26.39 m/s] it would only take 18.6 seconds. So every time you stop you "waste" 41.6 seconds.

So to calculate the time that the train travels at the constant speed (26.39 m/s),
240 m = 26.39 m/s x t
Which then I will get 9.1 s?

tavo0116 said:
So to calculate the time that the train travels at the constant speed (26.39 m/s),
240 m = 26.39 m/s x t
Which then I will get 9.1 s?

Where did 240 m come from??

Distance between stations 1200 m

Distance covered while accelerating - apparently 317 m
Distance covered while slowing down - apparently 174 m

So that leaves more than 240 m for cruising ?

You have used the right formula.

FAQ: How to Calculate Train Travel Time with Stops?

1. How do you calculate the time for a train journey?

To calculate the time for a train journey, you need to know the distance traveled by the train and its speed. You can then use the formula Time = Distance/Speed to calculate the time in hours or minutes.

2. What factors can affect the time for a train journey?

The time for a train journey can be affected by various factors such as the train's speed, the distance traveled, the number of stops, any delays or disruptions, and the type of train (local, express, etc.).

3. How can I calculate the average speed of a train?

To calculate the average speed of a train, you need to know the total distance traveled and the total time taken for the journey. You can then use the formula Average Speed = Total Distance/Total Time to calculate the average speed in miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the time for a return train journey?

Yes, you can use the same formula (Time = Distance/Speed) to calculate the time for a return train journey. Just make sure to include the distance for the return journey in the calculation.

5. How accurate are the time calculations for train journeys?

The time calculations for train journeys are usually accurate, but they can be affected by unforeseen circumstances such as delays or disruptions. It is always recommended to check the train schedule and allow for some extra time in case of any unexpected delays.