Calculate the velocity when 2 progressive waves are added together

In summary, the person is trying to find out the velocity of a wave produced when 2 waves are added together. They are not sure how to go about this and are confused. They eventually figure out that they need to include the negative sign in their calculations.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Finding the resultant velocity of when 2 waves are added together
Relevant Equations
See below
So here is my problem

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 12.06.40.png

I have had a go at this and get an answer of 8.34cm to be my final amplitude

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 12.07.46.png

IMG_4039.JPG

The next part that I have been given is to calculate the velocity of when 2 waves are added together. I'm not so sure how to go about this, this is what I have tried anyway

Screenshot 2020-03-06 at 12.06.48.png

IMG_4040.JPG

Can someone please help on how to do work out the velocity of the resultant wave?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Could I just work out the velocity of the wave produced from doing this?

IMG_0782.JPG

I'm really confused here

So I have thought about this question again, and I'm thinking that they are asking for the maximum velocity here of the wave that gets produced, since I cannot work out the velocity at any given time of the wave as I am not given a time value or the horizontal displacement x

So would this be an appropriate thing to do?

IMG_4043.JPG

If a speed of 1.23 m/s is correct? Would it be best to include the negative sign as it asks for the velocity so I shouldn't be taking the absolute value of that then

Your post #2 looks right.
In post #3 you have calculated the max velocity at which a point on the wave rises. That is not the velocity of the wave.

haruspex said:
Your post #2 looks right.
In post #3 you have calculated the max velocity at which a point on the wave rises. That is not the velocity of the wave.

Ok thank you, I was a bit overwhelmed by this question as they had given extra info that wasn't used in the calculation so I ought to think I was doing something wrong. I see my error here now. Thanks again!

Bolter said:
they had given extra info that wasn't used in the calculation
That ought to be a more common practice. It is what happens in the real world. Deciding what information is relevant is the first challenge.

Likes Bolter

Related to Calculate the velocity when 2 progressive waves are added together

1. How do you calculate the velocity when 2 progressive waves are added together?

The velocity of a wave is determined by dividing the wavelength by the period. When adding two progressive waves together, the resulting velocity will be the sum of the individual velocities of each wave.

2. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a wave?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a wave is: velocity = wavelength / period. This formula applies to all types of waves, including progressive waves.

3. Can the velocity of a wave change when two progressive waves are added together?

Yes, the velocity of a wave can change when two progressive waves are added together. This is because the resulting wave will have a different wavelength and period than the individual waves, resulting in a different velocity.

4. Are there any limitations to calculating the velocity of two added progressive waves?

There are no limitations to calculating the velocity of two added progressive waves as long as the waves are traveling in the same medium and have the same amplitude.

5. What factors can affect the velocity of a wave when two progressive waves are added together?

The velocity of a wave when two progressive waves are added together can be affected by factors such as the medium through which the wave is traveling, the amplitude of the waves, and the angle at which the waves are added together.