Calculate the work (Thermodynamics)

In summary, the gas does work in three stages: 1) Work is done isobarically when the pressure is constant. 2) The gas is compressed isothermally back to its initial volume. 3) The gas is cooled isothermally back to its initial pressure.
alivedude

Homework Statement

An ideal gas with pressure ##p_1=2## bar and volume ##V_1=3 \, m^3## is expanding under constant pressure to the volume ##V_2=3V_1##. Then we compress the gas isothermally back to ##V_1##. Finally the gas cools down to initial pressure ##p_1##. Calculate the total amount of work.

Homework Equations

Work done is given by ##W=-\int_{V_1}^{V_2}pdV##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The first work is isobar so we have that
##W_1 = -p(V_2-V_1)##

For the last part we have that ##dV=0## so work done there is 0.

What about the second part? Work done for an isothermal compression is ##W=-vRT\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1}## but I have no information about the temperatur or number of mols. Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

The answer is ##780## kJ but I can't get there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

alivedude said:
##W=-vRT\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1}##

There is a mistake in this equation, this could be the problem.

What is the mistake? I use the ideal gas law ##pV=vRT##

##W=-vRT\int_{V_1}^{v_2} \frac{dV}{V} = -vRT \ln \frac{V_2}{V_1}##

alivedude said:
##pV=vRT##

Maybe there is a misunderstanding in used letters: What dimension/value does ##v## have in your formula?

stockzahn said:
Maybe there is a misunderstanding in used letters: What dimension/value does ##v## have in your formula?

Oh I'm sorry! It's in mol

OK, sorry too, I'm used to a different nomenclature. In your formulas

##pV=vRT## & ##W=-vRT\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1}##

you already have the solution. Just combine them. Hint: How does the product ##p⋅V## behave during an isothermal change of state?

stockzahn said:
OK, sorry too, I'm used to a different nomenclature. In your formulas

##pV=vRT## & ##W=-vRT\ln\frac{V_2}{V_1}##

you already have the solution. Just combine them. Hint: How does the product ##p⋅V## behave during an isothermal change of state?
Im feeling bit slow here but i just can't see where i go wrong. I plug in ##pV## instead of ##vRT## and add the works

##W_{tot} = -p_1(V_2-V_1) - p_1V_2\ln \frac{V_2}{V_1} ##

clearly this is wrong?

In your first post you already figured out, that for step (3) ΔW=0:

alivedude said:
For the last part we have that ##dV=0## so work done there is 0.

To be able to reach the initial state again, there must be one step where the energy difference of the gas is positive and one step where it is negative. Your equation treats both steps like energy losses (work done by the gas).

alivedude said:
Im feeling bit slow here but i just can't see where i go wrong. I plug in ##pV## instead of ##vRT## and add the works

##W_{tot} = -p_1(V_2-V_1) - p_1V_2\ln \frac{V_2}{V_1} ##

clearly this is wrong?

Last edited:
stockzahn said:
In your first post you already figured out, that for step (3) ΔW=0:
To be able to reach the initial state again, there must be one step where the energy difference of the gas is positive and one step where it is negative. Your equation treats both steps like energy losses.
To be honest, I have no idea what to do at this moment. The book i have is written by my professor and there is ZERO examples, just theory through the whole thing and I'm getting so frustrated. I have no idea what to do and I can't figure it out either.

This is what I'm thinking:

Since we reach the initial point the change in energy overall is zero. That means that the energy we add to the system by work is exactly the same as the amount of energy that we take away in form of heat when we cool the gas in step 3. During the cooling no work is done, so the only work comes from step 1 and 2. Then why isn't my calculation right here above?

alivedude said:
Since we reach the initial point the change in energy overall is zero.

Correct

alivedude said:
That means that the energy we add to the system by work is exactly the same as the amount of energy that we take away in form of heat when we cool the gas in step 3.

Not necessarily. You have to analyse each step seperatly to find out, during which step work is done by the gas (ΔW < 0) and during which step work is put into the gas (ΔW > 0). Have a look at the volume of the gas: Depending on its change, whether it is increasing or decreasing, work is done by the gas or put into the gas.

stockzahn said:
Correct
Not necessarily. You have to analyse each step seperatly to find out, during which step work is done by the gas (ΔW < 0) and during which step work is put into the gas (ΔW > 0). Have a look at the volume of the gas: Depending on its change, whether it is increasing or decreasing, work is done by the gas or put into the gas.

Found out what the problem was and now i have the right answer.

My calculation for the work above was correct but I used ##ln\frac{9}{3}## instead of ##ln\frac{3}{9}##. I wasn't paying attention that i was suppose to go back to ##3 m^3## again.

Anyway, thanks for all the patience you had with me!

You're welcome, I hope I could help.

Related to Calculate the work (Thermodynamics)

1. What is the definition of work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, work is defined as the transfer of energy from one system to another through mechanical means. It is measured in units of joules (J) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

2. How is work calculated in thermodynamics?

The formula for calculating work in thermodynamics is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. Alternatively, work can also be calculated using the change in energy of a system, as in the formula W = ∆E.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative work in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, positive work is done on a system when energy is transferred from an external source to the system, resulting in an increase in the system's energy. Negative work, on the other hand, is done by a system when energy is transferred from the system to an external source, resulting in a decrease in the system's energy.

4. How does the first law of thermodynamics relate to work?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another. This means that the work done on a system must be equal to the change in energy of the system, as energy cannot be created or destroyed during the process.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating work in thermodynamics?

The calculation of work in thermodynamics is used in many practical applications, such as the design of engines and turbines, the production of electricity, and the efficiency of refrigeration and heating systems. It is also crucial in understanding and analyzing the behavior of various thermodynamic processes and systems.