Calculate Torque About Axis B: F, θ, ϕ, π Involved

• Thread starter PerpetuallyConfused
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Axis Torque
In summary: So your solution is also correct.In summary, the torque about axis B due to the force F⃗ can be expressed as Tb = bFsin (pi/2+θ) or Tb = bFsin (pi/2-θ), depending on the convention used for the angle between the r vector and F vector. The value of pi/2 is added to the angle to account for the perpendicular component of the force.
PerpetuallyConfused

Homework Statement

What is the torque τB about axis B due to the force F⃗ ? (B is the point at Cartesian coordinates (0,b), located a distance b from the origin along the y axis.)
Express the torque about axis B in terms of F, θ, ϕ, π, and/or other given coordinate data.
1011154B.jpg

Homework Equations

[/B]
τ = RF sin (θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that the answer is Tb = bFsin (pi/2+θ)
What I don't understand is how to get pi/2+θ?
I know that θ is the angle between r vector and F vector and since that's the case shouldn't the answer be pi/2-θ?

Attachments

• 1011154B.jpg
    1011154B.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,238
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you please show us your own effort? What did you get?

Orodruin said:
Can you please show us your own effort? What did you get?
Well I thought the answer was Tb = bFsin (pi/2-θ) but that's obviously wrong. I would like to know why. My homework says that alpha is the angle between r vector and F vector therefore I thought that it would be pi/2-θ.

The angle ##\alpha## is drawn in the figure. Note that the vector ##\vec r## is the vector from the point relative to which you want to know the torque to the point where the force acts. In this case the vector from B to A.

Edit: Also note that, since what matters is the component of ##\vec F## perpendicular to ##\vec r##, it does not matter if you use ##\alpha## or ##\pi - \alpha## since
$$
\sin(\pi - \alpha) = \sin(\pi)\cos(\alpha) - \cos(\pi)\sin(\alpha) = 0 + \sin(\alpha) = \sin(\alpha).
$$
It holds that
$$
\sin(\pi/2 - \theta) = \sin(\pi/2)\cos(\theta) - \sin(\theta)\cos(\pi/2) = \cos(\theta)\sin(\pi/2)
= \cos(\theta)\sin(\pi/2) + \sin(\theta)\cos(\pi/2) = \sin(\pi/2 + \theta).
$$

Related to Calculate Torque About Axis B: F, θ, ϕ, π Involved

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force (F) applied to the object by the perpendicular distance (r) from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force, and by the sine of the angle (θ) between the force vector and the line of action. The formula for calculating torque is τ = F x r x sin(θ).

2. What is the difference between torque about axis B and torque about other axes?

Torque about axis B specifically refers to the torque applied to an object around a specific axis, in this case axis B. Other axes may have different orientations and therefore require different calculations for torque.

3. How do you calculate the angle θ in the torque formula?

The angle θ is the angle between the force vector and the line of action of the force. It can be determined by drawing a right triangle, where the adjacent side is the distance (r) and the hypotenuse is the force (F). The angle θ can then be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

4. What is the role of the angle ϕ in calculating torque about axis B?

The angle ϕ represents the direction of the force relative to the axis of rotation. It is used in the calculation of torque by determining the perpendicular distance (r) from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force.

5. Can you calculate torque about axis B using different units of measurement?

Yes, torque can be calculated using different units of measurement as long as they are consistent. For example, if the force (F) is measured in Newtons and the distance (r) is measured in meters, the torque will be in Newton-meters (Nm). Make sure to convert units if necessary before plugging them into the torque formula.