Calculate Tractive Effort & Draw-Bar Pull for Locomotive A,B,C

• Thread starter paul9619
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Locomotive
In summary: Thanks for help! In summary, the locomotive A is pulling two tracks of 80, 25 and 20 tonne masses, and it develops 27.17K Newtons of tractive effort.
paul9619
Hi all,

Another teaser that I have been attempting is the following:

A Locomotive (A) pulls two tracks (B) and (C). The masses of A,B & C are 80, 25 and 20 tonne respectively. The train starts from rest and accelerates uniformally to cover 2KM in 8 minutes. Assume the resistance to motion of the locomotive and the trucks is 200N/tonne

1. Calculate the tractive effort developed by the locomotive A.

I have used the formula: Tractive Effort = Total resistance to motion (R) + Mass x Acceleration.

The total resistance to motion is 200/N tonne x (80+25+20) = 25KN
The mass is 125 Tonne
The acceleration I have as 0.01736111 m/s using s=ut+1/2at^2.

Therefore I have the tractive effort as 27.17K Newtons.

Is this right?

2. Calculate the draw-bar pull between A and B
3. Calculate the draw bar pull between B & C

I am struggling with 2 and 3. Could anyone give me any pointers??

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Your reasoning is correct. I have not checked your numbers, but I suppose they are OK.
2. Remember that A must pull the combined masses of B and C.
3. The draw bar between B and C must pull the mass of C.

The acceleration of 0.01736111 m/s2 is correct assuming that locomotive and trucks are accelerating uniformly.

As SGT mentioned, the drawbar between A and B has the masses and resistance of B and C pulling on it, and between B and C, the drawbar only pulls C.

Ok taking this into consideration I have done the following.

Resistance to motion = 25 tonne x 200 N/tonne = 5000N for truck b
= 20 tonne x 200 N/tonne = 4000N for truck c

Therefore total resistance to motion is 9000N.

Force required to move B & C = Acceleration x mass = 781.25N

Therefore the pull between A and B is 9000N + 781.25 = 9781.25N

Does this seem right??

Obviously for the pull between B & C it will be the same precedure but just taking into account the resistance & motion of C.

It's right.

FAQ: Calculate Tractive Effort & Draw-Bar Pull for Locomotive A,B,C

1. What is tractive effort?

Tractive effort is the force that a locomotive exerts on its wheels in order to move a train. It is typically measured in pounds or newtons.

2. How is tractive effort calculated?

Tractive effort is calculated by multiplying the coefficient of friction between the train's wheels and the track by the weight of the train, including the locomotive and all cars. This value is then multiplied by the grade of the track (if there is one) and any additional resistance factors, such as wind resistance or curves.

3. What is draw-bar pull?

Draw-bar pull is the force that a locomotive exerts on the coupler between the locomotive and the first car of the train. It is essentially the pulling force that is available to the locomotive to move the train.

4. How does draw-bar pull differ from tractive effort?

While tractive effort is the overall force exerted by the locomotive on its wheels, draw-bar pull only takes into account the force used to pull the train. It does not factor in any additional forces, such as wind or grade, that may affect the overall tractive effort.

5. Can tractive effort and draw-bar pull be increased?

Yes, both tractive effort and draw-bar pull can be increased by adding more locomotives to the train. The tractive effort of a train is the sum of the tractive effort of each individual locomotive, and the draw-bar pull is also increased with each additional locomotive.