Calculate Train Speed Increase: 84 km/h in 495.7s | Force Physics Problem

In summary, it takes approximately 8.26 minutes for the freight train to increase its speed from rest to 84 km/h, with a constant pull of 6.7x105 N from the locomotive. This is calculated using the equations F=ma and a=v/t, resulting in a time of 495.7 seconds or 8.26 minutes.
mandy9008

Homework Statement

A freight train has a mass of 1.4x107 kg. If the locomotive can exert a constant pull of 6.7x105 N, how long does it take to increase the speed of the train from rest to 84 km/h?

Homework Equations

F=ma
a=v/t

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 84 km/h into 23.3 m/s.
F=ma
6.7x10^5 N=1.4x10^7 m (a)
a= .047 m/s^2

a=v/t
.047 m/s^2=(23.3 m/s)/t
t=495.7s --> 2.97x10^4 min

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

That looks correct.

when I enter it it says that it differs significantly from the correct answer

mandy9008 said:
when I enter it it says that it differs significantly from the correct answer

the t =2.97x104 min is not correct.

t= 495.7 s should be correct.

the question asks for time in minutes

i converted it and got 8.26 min and got it correct.i don't know what i was thinking converting it before haha thanks

Related to Calculate Train Speed Increase: 84 km/h in 495.7s | Force Physics Problem

What is train force physics?

Train force physics is the study of the forces and interactions involved in the movement of trains. It involves applying the principles of physics, such as Newton's laws of motion, to understand and predict the behavior of trains.

What are the main forces involved in train movement?

The main forces involved in train movement are traction (the force that pulls the train forward), drag (the force that opposes the train's movement), and gravity (the force that pulls the train towards the ground). Friction and air resistance also play a role.

How does train weight affect its movement?

The weight of a train affects its movement in two ways: it increases the force of gravity, which can slow down the train, and it affects the train's ability to accelerate and decelerate due to its inertia (i.e. resistance to change in motion).

What is the role of friction in train force physics?

Friction is an important factor in train force physics as it determines the amount of resistance the train experiences on the tracks. This resistance can affect the train's speed and the amount of energy needed to overcome it.

How do engineers use train force physics to design and operate trains?

Engineers use train force physics to calculate the necessary amount of force and energy needed to move a train, as well as to determine the optimal speed and braking distances. This information is crucial in designing and operating efficient and safe train systems.