Calculate Velocity of Joint Closing w/ Trig

In summary, there is a problem where a compass with arms of length 15cm and a theta of 60deg is moving towards the center at a rate of .030m/s. The question is asking for the velocity of the joint as the arms are closing, but the challenge is translating the X direction velocity to the Y direction for the joint. This is similar to a ladder problem where the speed of the top and bottom of the ladder are compared. The solution involves using Pythagoras' theorem and differentiating it with respect to time. The thinking of expressing the change in Y as a fixed proportion to the change in X is correct.
Ronnin
There is a compass (drawing kind) with both points touching a piece of paper. The length of the arms is 15cm. The theta between the arms is 60deg. Each arm is moving toward the center at .030m/s. The question asks me to calculate the velocity of the joint as a function of time and give the velocity of the joint when the arms start closing. I can’t seem to figure a way to translate the velocity at which the arms are moving toward center to the Y direction where the joint is moving upward as the arms close. I know there has to be some sort of trig ratio I can apply to scale the velocity (in the X direction) to the joint’s velocity (Y direction). Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is very similar to the following problem.

A ladder is initially propped up against a smooth wall, and the foot of the ladder lies on a smooth surface (no friction effects anywhere)
The ladder is then released and allowed to slide down the wall as the foot of the ladder slides along the floor.
How do the speeds of the top of the ladder and the bottom of the ladder compare?

Let a be the distance of the foot of the ladder from the wall.
Let b be the distance of the top of the ladder from the floor.
Let c be the length of the ladder.

Then [tex]\dot x = \frac{da}{dt}[/tex]
And [tex]\dot y = \frac{db}{dt}[/tex]

The thing you may have to get your head around here is that [tex]\dot x[/tex] is not only the speed at which the foot of the laddder is moving, it is also the rate at which the dimension a is increasing.
Similarly for [tex]\dot y[/tex] and the dimension b.

You should be able to translate the ladder problem into your problem.

Can you finish it off from here ?

Thanks for the info but I'm still confused how to scale the movement of the decreasing X (in my case I know how fast this happening) to the increasing Y (which is my unknown). I know I've got a right triangle here and my Y is going to grow in a fixed proportion to my shrinking X but I don't know how to express it mathmatically. Am I anywhere close in my thinking?

If we go back to the ladder problem and use Pythagoras, then

a² + b² = c²

Would it help if you differentiated this expression wrt time ?

Edit: yes, your thinking in the last paragraph is fine.

Last edited:

FAQ: Calculate Velocity of Joint Closing w/ Trig

1. What is the equation for calculating velocity of joint closing using trigonometry?

The equation for calculating velocity of joint closing is v = ω * r * sin(θ), where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, r is the distance from the center of rotation to the joint, and θ is the angle of rotation.

2. How do I determine the angular velocity for this calculation?

The angular velocity can be determined by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. This can be represented as ω = Δθ / Δt.

3. Can this equation be used for any joint or only for specific types?

This equation can be used for any joint as long as the distance from the center of rotation to the joint and the angle of rotation are known.

4. Are there any limitations to using this equation?

Yes, this equation assumes that the joint is moving in a circular path with a constant angular velocity. It may not accurately calculate the velocity for joints that do not follow this pattern.

5. How can I use this equation in my research or experiments?

This equation can be used to calculate the velocity of joint closing in various situations, such as in biomechanical studies or robotics research. It can also be used to analyze the performance of joints in different scenarios and make improvements or adjustments as needed.

Back