Calculate volume and surface area of a boiler

In summary, to cover the entire drum, 13.56 m² of insulation is required, and the total volume of the drum is 2.5 m³.
scientist

Homework Statement

A boiler drum is equipped with hemispherical heads (i.e. the two heads together make a sphere.) The diameter of the drum is 0.8 meters and the drum is 5 meters in length.

Calculate: a.) The area of insulation required to cover the entire drum.
b.) The total volume of the drum.

Homework Equations

Cylinder total surface area = (2)(pi)(r)(h) + (2)(pi)(r2)
Sphere total surface area = (4)(pi)(r2)
Cylinder volume = (pi)(r2)(L)

The Attempt at a Solution

answers

a) i) Cylinder total surface area = (2)(pi)(r2)(h) + (2)(pi)(r2 )
= (2) (3.14) (0.4)(5m) + (2)(3.14) (0.4)2
= 12.56 m2 + 1
= 13.56 m2 insulation required to cover the drum.

ii) Sphere total surface area = (4)(pi)(r2)
= (4) (3.14) (0.4)2
= 2 m2 insulation required to cover the two heads.

iii) Total surface area i+ ii = 13.56 m2 + 2 m2
= 15.56 m2 total insulation required to cover the entire drum.

b) Cylinder volume = (pi)(r2)(L)
= (3.14)(0.42)(5m)
= 2.5 m2 total volume of the drum.

How does my answer look?

Attachments

• boiler volume and area.gif
    boiler volume and area.gif
    6.4 KB · Views: 1,490
Physics news on Phys.org
total surface area = (2)(pi)(r2)(h) + (2)(pi)(r2 )
Drop the second term! There are no ends on the cylinder; they have been replaced by the hemispheres. And where did the r2 come from? Just r. By the way, you can easily copy symbols like the square ² from my signature or here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=346

total surface area = (2)(pi)(r)(h) + (4)(pi)(r² )

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculate volume and surface area of a boiler

1. How do you calculate the volume of a boiler?

The volume of a boiler can be calculated by multiplying its length, width, and height. This will give you the total volume in cubic units. Alternatively, if the boiler has a cylindrical shape, you can use the formula V = πr2h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

2. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a boiler?

The formula for finding the surface area of a boiler depends on its shape. For a rectangular boiler, the formula is SA = 2lw + 2lh + 2wh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height. For a cylindrical boiler, the formula is SA = 2πr2 + 2πrh, where r is the radius and h is the height.

3. How do you convert volume from cubic units to a specific unit of measurement?

To convert volume from cubic units to a specific unit of measurement, you need to know the conversion factor. For example, to convert from cubic inches to cubic feet, you would divide the volume in cubic inches by 1728 (since there are 1728 cubic inches in a cubic foot).

4. Can you calculate the volume and surface area of a boiler with irregular shapes?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the volume and surface area of a boiler with irregular shapes, but it may be more challenging. In this case, you may need to use more complex mathematical formulas or break down the shape into smaller, simpler shapes to calculate the volume and surface area separately.

5. Why is it important to calculate the volume and surface area of a boiler?

Calculating the volume and surface area of a boiler is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows you to determine the maximum amount of liquid or gas that the boiler can hold. It also helps in determining the amount of heat transfer that can occur between the boiler and its surroundings. Additionally, knowing the surface area can help in determining the amount of insulation needed to maintain the desired temperature inside the boiler.

Back