Calculate Wavelength Three Different Ways

• Thread starter Dag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavelength
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating the wavelength. The first method uses the equation λ=dsinθm/m and the second method uses the equation λ=dΔx/L. The third method, which is yet to be determined, may involve calculating the position of the 8th maximum at the screen. However, there may be errors in the second method where the assumption is made that all maxima have the same distance between them.
Dag

Homework Statement

The angle to eighth maximum is 1.12. θ_m=1.12
The distance from the slits to the screen is 3.02m. L=3.02m
The distance between the slits is 0.00025m. d=0.00025m
The distance from the first minimum to the fifth minimum is 0.095cm. 0.0295/4=Δx=0.007375m
λ=?

Homework Equations

λ=dΔx/L
λ=dsinθm/m
λ=dxn/L(n-1/2)
λ=dxm/Lm
λ=dsinθn/L(n-1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I have to calculate the wavelength three different ways, and so far I've managed to find two. The two equations I've used to calculate the wavelength are λ=dsinθm/m and λ=dΔx/L. I just need to find another equation to calculate the wavelength. I wanted to use the equation λ=dxn/L(n-1/2) or the equation λ=dxm/Lm, but I don't know how to calculate xn or xm. So basically, I just need to find another equation to calculate the wavelength and so far, I've been wanting to know how to calculate xn or xm. I think I may need to use the equation xn=λL/2d to calculate x, but I don't have λ, so I can't calculate it that way. Any hints would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a fundamentally new way - you have two different measurements, both lead to a determination of the wavelength, done. You could calculate the position of the 8th maximum at the screen and then use formulas for the distances instead of the angle, but that would be a more complicated way to repeat the first method.
Or try to fix the errors introduced in the second method where you assume the maxima all have the same distance between them.

Related to Calculate Wavelength Three Different Ways

What is the formula for calculating wavelength?

The formula for calculating wavelength is: wavelength = speed of light / frequency, where the speed of light is approximately 3 x 10^8 meters per second and frequency is measured in Hertz (Hz).

What are the three different ways to calculate wavelength?

The three different ways to calculate wavelength are using the formula wavelength = speed of light / frequency, using the formula wavelength = wave speed / frequency, and using the formula wavelength = wave speed x period.

How do I calculate wavelength using the speed of light?

To calculate wavelength using the speed of light, use the formula wavelength = speed of light / frequency. Make sure to convert the speed of light to the appropriate units (typically meters per second) and the frequency to Hertz (Hz) before plugging them into the formula.

Can I use any unit to calculate wavelength?

Yes, you can use any unit as long as you are consistent with your units throughout the calculation. However, for simplicity and consistency, it is recommended to use meters for wavelength, meters per second for speed, and Hertz for frequency.

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

There is an inverse relationship between wavelength and frequency. This means that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula wavelength = speed of light / frequency, where speed of light is constant. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and as the frequency decreases, the wavelength increases.