Calculate Work Done by Forces on 330kg Piano Sliding Down 28º Incline

• Thread starter tica86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, a 330-kg piano slides 3.6 m down a 28º incline with a man pushing back on it parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.40. When calculating the work done by the man on the piano, the correct answer is -1400 J. When calculating the work done by the friction force, the correct answer is -4100 J. Rounding off the answers to the nearest 2 significant figures is important in getting the correct solution.
tica86
A 330-kg piano slides 3.6 m down a 28º incline and is kept
from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it
parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of
kinetic friction is 0.40.

a)What is the work done by the man on the piano? (in joules)

This is what I did but the answer I got is incorrect.
Wman= F*cos180 = (mgsin 28 –umgcos 28)(-1)=-376.0
I also tried F * d cos 180 = - F *3.6 = - 1353.96 J
and that is also incorrect. If anyone could help out I would
appreciate it, thanks!

b)What is the work done by the friction force? (in joules)
As for b I did the following
- 0.4 {mg cos 28} * 3.6 = - 4111.85 J
which is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
tica86 said:
A 330-kg piano slides 3.6 m down a 28º incline and is kept
from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it
parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of
kinetic friction is 0.40.

a)What is the work done by the man on the piano? (in joules)

This is what I did but the answer I got is incorrect.
Wman= F*cos180 = (mgsin 28 –umgcos 28)(-1)=-376.0
This is the force exerted by the man acting up the plane
I also tried F * d cos 180 = - F *3.6 = - 1353.96 J
this looks correct, but you should round off your answer to -1400 J (to 2 significant figures)
b)What is the work done by the friction force? (in joules)
As for b I did the following
- 0.4 {mg cos 28} * 3.6 = - 4111.85 J
looks good, just round it off to -4100 J

PhanthomJay said:
This is the force exerted by the man acting up the plane this looks correct, but you should round off your answer to -1400 J (to 2 significant figures)
looks good, just round it off to -4100 J

Thanks! It was the rounding off that got me

Related to Calculate Work Done by Forces on 330kg Piano Sliding Down 28º Incline

What is the formula for calculating work done by forces?

The formula for calculating work done by forces is work = force x distance. In this case, the force would be the gravitational force pulling the piano down the incline, and the distance would be the length of the incline.

How do I calculate the force of gravity on the piano?

The force of gravity on an object is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, the mass of the piano is 330kg and the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8m/s². Therefore, the force of gravity on the piano is 3234N.

What is the angle of the incline?

The angle of the incline is given in the problem as 28 degrees. This angle is important to know because it affects the amount of gravitational force acting on the piano and therefore the amount of work done by the forces.

How do I calculate the work done by the forces on the piano?

The work done by the forces on the piano is calculated by multiplying the force acting on the piano (in this case, the force of gravity) by the distance the piano travels down the incline. This can be represented as W = F x d. In this case, the work done would be 89840.8 joules.

Is there a difference in the work done if the piano slides down a steeper incline?

Yes, there would be a difference in the work done. This is because the steeper incline would require the piano to travel a longer distance, increasing the work done by the forces. The angle of the incline has a direct effect on the amount of work done by the forces on an object.

Back