Calculating a Double Integral in the First Quadrant

In summary, the anti-derivative you want to use in your application of the FTOC is $\frac{1}{3}[\frac{-y^6}{6}+\frac{12y^5}{5}-\frac{48y^4}{4}+\frac{64y^3}{3}]_0^4$.
Petrus
Calculate the double integral
ed709fe762e59fb9d269eb166fd2451.png
where D is the set of all points in the first quadrant which satisfies the inequality
d45885a21218134cc58fd9f48003a61.png
I am confused how to calculate the a,b \(\displaystyle \int_a^b\) (I don't know what you call that in english)
Shall I do like this
\(\displaystyle y=4-x\) and put it in the function so we get \(\displaystyle x^2(4-x)^2\) and then?

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: multiple integrate

You're defining limits, not making a substitution.

[tex]\int\limits_{0}^{4}\int\limits_{0}^{4-y}x^{2}y^{2}dxdy[/tex]

[tex]\int\limits_{0}^{4}y^{2}\left(\int\limits_{0}^{4-y}x^{2}dx\right) dy[/tex]

Petrus said:
I am confused how to calculate the a,b \(\displaystyle \int_a^b\) (I don't know what you call that in english)...

Hello Petrus,

Those values, $a$ and $b$, are referred to as the limits of integration. $a$ is the lower limit of integration, and $b$ is the upper limit of integration.

I am having problem integrate \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4(4-y)^2y^2 dy\)
and I did not understand how we got this limits of integration.

Petrus said:
I am having problem integrate \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4(4-y)^2y^2 dy\)
and I did not understand how we got this limits of integration.

You have integrated the inner integral incorrectly. What is:

\(\displaystyle \int x^2\,dx\) ?

As far as the limits go, can you describe the region over which you are integrating?

MarkFL said:
You have integrated the inner integral incorrectly. What is:

\(\displaystyle \int x^2\,dx\) ?

As far as the limits go, can you describe the region over which you are integrating?
\(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{3}\)

- - - Updated - - -

ops I did not notice \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4(4-y)^3y^2 dy\)

Yes, less the constant of integration. Do you see that you need \(\displaystyle (4-y)^3\) in your remaining integrand?

edit: Yes, you caught the minor error! (Yes) Now, do you know how to proceed?

MarkFL said:
Yes, less the constant of integration. Do you see that you need \(\displaystyle (4-y)^3\) in your remaining integrand?

edit: Yes, you caught the minor error! (Yes) Now, do you know how to proceed?
Actually not. If I am honest I got so much problem with integration, I was trying integration by part but did not work well

I think the most straightforward method here would be to expand the cubed binomial, then distribute the factor $y^2$. What is your integrand now?

MarkFL said:
I think the most straightforward method here would be to expand the cubed binomial, then distribute the factor $y^2$. What is your integrand now?

Or $u=4-y$ would make the algebra a little easier, as you'd only have to expand a quadratic instead of a cubic.

MarkFL said:
Do you mean like this?
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^2(-y^3+12y^2-48y+64)\)

Ackbach said:
Or $u=4-y$ would make the algebra a little easier, as you'd only have to expand a quadratic instead of a cubic.

Yes, great suggestion!

If you use this substitution Petrus, be mindful to rewrite the limits and differential in terms of the new variable, and use the rule:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=-\int_b^a f(x)\,dx\)

Petrus said:
Do you mean like this?
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^2(-y^3+12y^2-48y+64)\,dy\)

Yes...I have added the missing differential. (Wink)

Now distribute the $y^2$, and integrate term by term to get the anti-derivative for use in the FTOC.

MarkFL said:
Yes...I have added the missing differential. (Wink)

Now distribute the $y^2$, and integrate term by term to get the anti-derivative for use in the FTOC.
Is this what you mean \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^2 dy+\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4-y^3+12y^2-48y+64 dy\)

(Sorry for forgeting dy, this is something I always forget cause I think in my brain that I derivate dy

Edit: after I posted I start to notice that Is wrong.. you mean \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^2(-y^3)+\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^212y^2+\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^2(-48y)+\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4y^2*64\)

Last edited:
No, that is an illegal move. You want to distribute the $y^2$ factor:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_0^4(-y^5+12y^4-48y^3+64y^2)\,dy\)

MarkFL said:
No, that is an illegal move. You want to distribute the $y^2$ factor:

Yeah I notice when I submited, I just felt stupid that I posted it after I did submit because I obvious did not think correct.

Petrus said:
Yeah I notice when I submited, I just felt stupid that I posted it after I did submit because I obvious did not think correct.

Hey, we all make mistakes...some in haste. I've made my share for sure! (Happy)

Now, what is the anti-derivative you want to use in your application of the FTOC?

MarkFL said:
Hey, we all make mistakes...some in haste. I've made my share for sure! (Happy)

Now, what is the anti-derivative you want to use in your application of the FTOC?
I think you call it 'Second part' the one \(\displaystyle \int_a^bf(x)=F(b)-F(a)\)
our anti derivate is \(\displaystyle \frac{-y^6}{6}+\frac{12y^5}{5}-\frac{48y^4}{4}+\frac{64y^3}{3}\)
So now we got \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}[\frac{-y^6}{6}+\frac{12y^5}{5}-\frac{48y^4}{4}+\frac{64y^3}{3}]_0^4 =\frac{1}{3}(\frac{1024}{15}-0)=\frac{1024}{45}\)

Yes, good work! (Cool)

I was taught to call it the anti-derivative form of the fundamental theorem of calculus. I notice many now call it the second theorem. Whatever you call it though, it gives us a powerful method for evaluating definite integrals. (Smile)

MarkFL said:
Yes, great suggestion!

If you use this substitution Petrus, be mindful to rewrite the limits and differential in terms of the new variable, and use the rule:

\(\displaystyle \int_a^b f(x)\,dx=-\int_b^a f(x)\,dx\)
if \(\displaystyle u=4-y\) then is \(\displaystyle y=4-u\)
so we got \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_4^0u^3(4-u)^2 du\) and with that rule we got \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4u^3(4-u)^2 du\) Is this correct?Edit: forgot to add 'du'

Petrus said:
if \(\displaystyle u=4-y\) then is \(\displaystyle y=4-u\)
so we got \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{3}\int_4^0u^3(4-u)^2\) and with that rule we got \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4u^3(4-u)^2\) Is this correct?

Not quite...with:

\(\displaystyle u=4-y\,\therefore\,du=-dy\)

Notice this negative sign on the differential gets brought out front (this is one reason it is important to always include the differential in your integrations :D), and so rewriting everything in terms of the new variable $u$, we get:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{3}\int_4^0u^3(4-u)^2\,du=\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4u^3(4-u)^2\,du\)

MarkFL said:
Not quite...with:

\(\displaystyle u=4-y\,\therefore\,du=-dy\)

Notice this negative sign on the differential gets brought out front (this is one reason it is important to always include the differential in your integrations :D), and so rewriting everything in terms of the new variable $u$, we get:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{3}\int_4^0u^3(4-u)^2\,du=\frac{1}{3}\int_0^4u^3(4-u)^2\,du\)
I still don't understand why 1/3 got negative.

Petrus said:
I still don't understand why 1/3 got negative.

Because $dy=-du$ and the negative sign represents the constant $-1$ and can be brought out in front of the integral as a factor.

MarkFL said:
Because $dy=-du$ and the negative sign represents the constant $-1$ and can be brought out in front of the integral as a factor.
Thanks Mark and Ackback!:) I now got same answer answer and integrade in two way:)
The only thing I did not understand is how we got this limits of integration. for x we got from 0 to 4-y and for y we got from 0 to 4 I did not understand how you get that.

Petrus said:
Thanks Mark and Ackback!:) I now got same answer answer and integrade in two way:)
The only thing I did not understand is how we got this limits of integration. for x we got from 0 to 4-y and for y we got from 0 to 4 I did not understand how you get that.

Because the original limits are $x$-values. When you do a $u$-substitution, you can either write the limits as $u$-values (by substituting into the $u=4-x$, in your case), or you can write the new limits as $u(0)$ to $u(4)$. Either way, the rule is as follows for $u$-substitutions:

1. For definite integrals, you must translate the integrand, the differential, and the limits. You can perform the entire integral in the $u$-domain, if you like.
2. For indefinite integrals, you must translate the integrand and the differential into the $u$-domain. However, once you have an antiderivative computed, you must go back to $x$'s, since that is what you were given.

Petrus said:
Thanks Mark and Ackbach!:) I now got same answer answer and integrade in two way:)

We were told to consider the first quadrant points satisfying the inequality:

\(\displaystyle x+y\le4\)

So for $x$, this implies:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le 4-y\)

And for $y$, this implies:

\(\displaystyle 0\le y\le 4\)

MarkFL said:
We were told to consider the first quadrant points satisfying the inequality:

\(\displaystyle x+y\le4\)

So for $x$, this implies:

\(\displaystyle 0\le x\le 4-y\)

And for $y$, this implies:

this is the part i strugle:
why don't it become
\(\displaystyle 0\le y\le 4-x\)

We only want to use the hypotenuse boundary in the inner integral, which we chose to be in terms of $x$. We could have integrated in the other order, and written:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_0^4\int_0^{4-x}x^2y^2\,dy\,dx\)

I suggest reading about Fubini's theorem, and the distinction between Type I and Type II regions.

Related to Calculating a Double Integral in the First Quadrant

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume under a curved surface in two dimensions. It is essentially the process of adding up infinitely small rectangles to approximate the area under a curve.

How do you calculate a double integral?

To calculate a double integral, you must first set up the limits of integration for both variables and then use a specific method, such as the Riemann sum or the Fubini's theorem, to solve the integral. The process can be complex and may involve multiple steps, so it is important to carefully follow the necessary calculations.

What are some real-life applications of double integrals?

Double integrals are used in many fields of science and engineering to solve problems involving volumes and surface areas. Some common applications include calculating the volume of a solid object, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the flux of a vector field.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite double integral?

A definite double integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it will give a numerical value as the result. On the other hand, an indefinite double integral does not have limits and will give a general function as the result. This function can then be evaluated at specific points to find the numerical value.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when calculating a double integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating a double integral include forgetting to properly set up the limits of integration, using the wrong method to solve the integral, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully check your work and double check your calculations to avoid these mistakes.