Calculating a Laurent Series: 1/(z2(z+i))

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating a Laurent series for 1/(z^2(z+i)) in the region D = {z: |z| < 1}. The solution involves using partial fractions to get 1/(z^2(z+i)) = 1/z -1/z^2 - 1/(z+i), and then expanding 1/(z+i) into a McLaurin series and multiplying each term by z^-2. However, it is noted that the series does not converge for |z| < 1, so there is no need to find the geometric series for 1/z and -i/z^2.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Calculate a Laurent series about z = 0 for 1/(z2(z+i)) in the region D = {z: |z| < 1}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used partial fractions to get 1/(z2(z+i)) = 1/z -1/z2 - 1/(z+i) but where do I go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand [tex]\frac{1}{z+i}[/tex] in a McLaurin series (Taylor's series about z= 0) and multiply each term by [itex]z^{-2}[/itex].

You can get the McLaurin series most easily by writing [tex]\frac{1}{z+i}= -i\frac{1}{1- (-z/i)}[/tex][tex]=-i\frac{1}{1- (iz)}[/tex] and writing it as a geometric series.

I let t = z
So 1/(t+i) = 1/t(1+i/t) which is a geometric series
= 1/t(1-(i/t)+(-1/t)^2-...
= 1/t - i/t2 + i2/t3 + ...
= 1/z - i/z2 - 1/z3 + ...

Last edited:
How do I find the geometric series for 1/z and -i/z2

squenshl said:
I let t = z
So 1/(t+i) = 1/t(1+i/t) which is a geometric series
= 1/t(1-(i/t)+(-1/t)^2-...
= 1/t - i/t2 + i2/t3 + ...
= 1/z - i/z2 - 1/z3 + ...
That series doesn't converge for |z|<1.

squenshl said:
How do I find the geometric series for 1/z and -i/z2
You don't. The 1/z and 1/z2 terms are already in the correct form.

Cheers.

FAQ: Calculating a Laurent Series: 1/(z2(z+i))

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a representation of a complex function as an infinite sum of terms, where each term is a power of the complex variable z. The series can include both positive and negative powers of z.

2. How do you calculate a Laurent series?

To calculate a Laurent series, you can use the formula 1/(z2(z+i)) = 1/(z2) - 1/(z2+i) and then expand each term using the geometric series formula. This will give you an infinite sum of powers of z, with coefficients determined by the original function.

3. Why is the calculation of a Laurent series useful?

Laurent series are useful in complex analysis as they allow us to approximate complex functions and better understand their behavior near singularities, such as poles or branch points. They also help us to solve complex integration problems and find solutions to differential equations.

4. What happens if the function has a singularity at z=0?

If the function has a singularity at z=0, then the Laurent series will have a negative power term in addition to positive power terms. This is because the function cannot be expanded as a Taylor series around z=0 due to the singularity, so the Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers to account for the singularity.

5. Can a Laurent series be used to represent any complex function?

No, not all complex functions can be represented by a Laurent series. The function must be analytic in the region around the point of expansion, meaning it must be continuous and have a derivative at that point. Functions with essential singularities, such as e1/z, cannot be represented by a Laurent series.