Calculating a smooth 90% limit for differences in a time series

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the speaker has 50 data sets with three related time series for each set. Their goal is to generate a number that indicates a relative degree of change for each time series, ranging from 0-1. The data sets have a wide range of scales, from .0001 to 100. The speaker's current approach involves calculating the differences in the time series and setting an upper limit of 90%, but they are open to alternative methods. They have been struggling with this problem for months and are looking for help or direction for further research. They are also seeking input from a statistician or data analyst.
expertalmost
I have 50 data sets. Each set has three related time series: fast, medium, slow. My end purpose is simple, I want to generate a number that indicates a relative degree of change of the time series at each point. That relative degree of change should range between 0-1 for all the time series and all the data sets. The scales of the data set range from .0001 to 100. Attached is a spreadsheet with one data set.

To accomplish this, I calculate the differences in a time series, delta(ts)=ts(t) – ts(t-1). Now I am trying to calculate an upper limit of 90% of those deltas. In other words, draw a smooth line on those differences such that only about 10% of the differences exceed that line. I will use that 90% limit to establish a maximum to normalize the differences between 0-1. Is this the best way to do this?

I’ve been working on this for months, mostly linear programmatic methods, with no success. And trying to get it to work across 50 data sets is killing me. I’m sure there has to be an elegant mathematical way to do this. I can’t be the first guy in town trying to normalize a relative degree of change of a time series.

Any help or directions for research are greatly appreciated! Obviously my math skills are weak so examples would be most helpful. Thank you everyone for your time and brain power!

Attachments

• MaxRng.zip
    89.1 KB · Views: 58
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. Your approach of calculating the differences in the time series and then setting an upper limit is a good start. However, there are a few aspects that could be improved upon.

Firstly, instead of setting an arbitrary upper limit of 90%, it would be more accurate to use a statistical method such as the standard deviation to determine the upper limit. This would ensure that the majority of the data points fall within the limit, rather than just 90%.

Secondly, using a linear programmatic approach may not be the most effective method for this problem. Instead, you could consider using a non-linear regression model to fit a curve to the data points and then use that curve to determine the upper limit.

Lastly, it is important to consider the nature of your data sets. Are they all from the same source or do they vary in terms of their characteristics? If they are different, then it may be necessary to adjust the method accordingly for each data set.

I would also recommend consulting with a statistician or data analyst who can provide more specific guidance based on your data sets and the desired outcome. They may be able to suggest alternative methods or provide further insights.

I hope this helps and wish you the best of luck in finding a solution to your problem.

FAQ: Calculating a smooth 90% limit for differences in a time series

1. What is a smooth 90% limit for differences in a time series?

A smooth 90% limit for differences in a time series is a statistical tool used to determine the range within which future values of a time series are expected to fall with 90% confidence. It takes into account the trend and variability of the time series data to create a smooth and accurate upper and lower limit.

2. How is a smooth 90% limit calculated for differences in a time series?

The smooth 90% limit is calculated by first estimating the trend and variability of the time series data using statistical methods such as moving averages or exponential smoothing. Then, a confidence interval is constructed around the trend line using the standard error of the estimate. This interval is then expanded to a 90% limit by multiplying it with a factor specific to the desired confidence level.

3. Why is a smooth 90% limit useful for analyzing time series data?

A smooth 90% limit is useful because it provides a more accurate and reliable estimate of the future values of a time series compared to simply using a trend line. It also takes into account the inherent variability of time series data, making it a better tool for forecasting and decision making.

4. What are the assumptions made when calculating a smooth 90% limit for differences in a time series?

The main assumptions made when calculating a smooth 90% limit are that the time series data is stationary, meaning that the mean and variance of the data do not change over time, and that the data has a normal distribution. If these assumptions are not met, the results may not be accurate.

5. Can a smooth 90% limit be used for any type of time series data?

No, a smooth 90% limit may not be suitable for all types of time series data. It works best with data that has a stable trend and does not have extreme outliers. It may not be appropriate for highly volatile or non-linear data. It is important to assess the data and determine if the assumptions for using a smooth 90% limit are met before applying it.