Calculating a Weighted Mean for GPA Calculation

• MHB
  • Thread starter jridgeman99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the conversation is about finding a weighted mean in the context of calculating a GPA. The problem involves assigning points to letter grades and determining the GPA of a student based on their grades in multiple courses. The given answer is 2.5, but the listener's calculation results in a GPA of 2.7. They are unsure of where they went wrong and are seeking clarification.
jridgeman99
Hello, yes. I have a question pertaining to probability and statistics and it concerns finding a weighted mean which is shown through calculating a GPA. In this context it pertains to a review I'm doing and I can't figure out how I'm getting it wrong. I may be missing something rather little but I don't know. The problem consists of the following information saying the common system for determining a GPA assigns 4 points to an A, 3 points to a B,2 points to a C,1 point to a D, and 0 points to an F. Furthermore, what is the GPA of a student who gets an A in a 2 credit course, a B in each of three 3 credit courses, a C in a 3 credit course, and a D in a 4 credit course? For my answer I get that the computed GPA is 2.7 however the actual answer is 2.5 but I cannot figure out how.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello jridgeman99 and welcome to MHB.

Can you post your work?

Yes, my work is as follows:

The weighted mean formula would be

4*2 + 3*3 + 2*3 + 1*4/ 4+3+2+1

Other than a lack of appropriate parentheses I don't see anything wrong with your work. It's entirely possible that the given answer is in error.

FAQ: Calculating a Weighted Mean for GPA Calculation

1. What is a weighted mean?

A weighted mean is a type of average that takes into account the relative importance or weight of each value in a data set. This means that values with a higher weight will have a greater impact on the final result.

2. How is a weighted mean calculated?

To calculate a weighted mean, you need to multiply each value by its corresponding weight, then add up all the products and divide by the sum of the weights. The formula is: weighted mean = (value1 x weight1 + value2 x weight2 + ... + valuen x weightn) / (weight1 + weight2 + ... + weightn)

3. When is a weighted mean used?

A weighted mean is often used when there are varying levels of importance or significance among the values in a data set. It is commonly used in finance, statistics, and research to calculate averages that accurately reflect the overall trend or outcome.

4. What is the difference between weighted and unweighted mean?

The main difference between weighted and unweighted mean is that in a weighted mean, each value has a specific weight that is taken into account during the calculation, whereas in an unweighted mean, all values are given equal importance. This means that a weighted mean may be a more accurate representation of the data set.

5. How do you interpret a weighted mean?

The interpretation of a weighted mean depends on the context in which it is used. Generally, a higher weighted mean indicates that the values with higher weights have a greater impact on the overall average. It is important to consider the weight of each value and the overall trend of the data when interpreting a weighted mean.