Calculating AC Power for Inductive Load at 60Hz | No Average Value

In summary, the question is asking what the power factor is for an inductive load. The answer is unknown.
Lord Dark
Getting powers from Ac Circuit

Homework Statement

Hi guys,, need help with the following question :

The rms voltage and current of an inductive load are 110V & 10.
The frequency of the voltage waveform is 60 Hz. The instantaneous power
consumed by the load has zero average value.Calculate :
a. The real power consumed by the load.
b. The reactive power consumed by the load.
c. The power factor.
d. The frequency of the reactive power

The Attempt at a Solution

OK, first things first ,, what does the question mean by saying
The instantaneous power consumed by the load has zero average value
?? and I know that real power equal I^2 R for series & V^2/R for parallel but the problem it doesn't say if it's series or parallel ,, so my second question is how to start solving the problem ?? (Don't give me answers please just tips :smile: )

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It means that all the inductor is doing is causing a phase shift in the AC source. So the waveform will give an average voltage, current, and even power of zero.

If you decompose the complex impedance of the inductor you have a real part and an imaginary part. The real power is, just as it sounds, the real part of the power.

No idea about "power factor."

Good luck!

nice ,, thanks Mindscrape got the idea :smile:

"The instantaneous power consumed by the load has zero average value" doesn't mean anything.

It's a misstatement or something; wrong in one and a half places:

The average power into the idealized inductive load is zero. The inductive load 'consumes' no power. The instantaneous power can be into or out of the load. Instantaneous power is just the power, positive or negative at any given instant, rather than over the entire AC cycle.

no it's useful ,, it's to determine either the real power or reactant power equal zero

Lord Dark said:
no it's useful ,, it's to determine either the real power or reactant power equal zero

Instantaneous power and average power are not the same thing. Ask when you are in class.

I know they are not the same thing ,, I red in the book that the reactant or real power depends on them ...

Related to Calculating AC Power for Inductive Load at 60Hz | No Average Value

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit where the current flows in only one direction. AC circuits are commonly used in household appliances and power grids.

2. How does an AC circuit work?

An AC circuit works by using an alternating current source, such as a generator, to produce a continuously changing voltage. The voltage causes the flow of electrons in the circuit to periodically change direction, resulting in an oscillating current. This current can then be used to power various devices.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC power?

The main difference between AC and DC power is the direction of the current flow. In an AC circuit, the current periodically changes direction, while in a DC circuit, the current flows in only one direction. AC power is also more efficient for long-distance transmission, which is why it is used in power grids.

4. How is power calculated in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, power is calculated using the formula P = V x I x cosθ, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, I is current in amperes, and cosθ is the power factor. The power factor takes into account the phase difference between the voltage and current in an AC circuit.

5. What is the frequency of AC power?

The frequency of AC power in most countries is 50 or 60 Hz (Hertz), which represents the number of oscillations per second. This frequency is determined by the power grid and is fixed for a particular region. Higher frequencies are used in some specialized applications, such as in radio transmissions.