Calculating Acceleration of a Barge Being Pulled by a Horse Along a Canal

In summary, a horse pulling a barge of mass 5000 kg along a canal with a rope attached to a point 2m from the bank and a length of 10m has a tension of 500 N. Using Newton's second law of motion, F=ma, the acceleration of the barge parallel to the bank can be calculated by using the mass and tension as the only given information. However, this question requires the use of trigonometry to resolve the tension and the final answer is 0.098 m/seconds squared.
Pirang
Can anyone help me with this question? I would appreciate it.

A horse pulls a barge of mass 5000 kg along a canal using a rope 10 m long. The rope is attached to a point on the barge 2m from the bank. As the barge starts to move, the tension in the rope is 500 N. Calculate the barge's initial acceleration parallel to the bank.

Please explain hehe physics is not my strong side :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Mkay, so the basic physics principle here is the relationship betwenn pulling forces and the resulting motion. In this simple case, the two interacting areas are the forces and the resulting ACCELERATION of the barge. This physical phenomenon is called Neto'ns second law of motion, which in mahematical form states that F=ma, where F is the NET force acting on a body and a is the resulting acceleration.

The question here is figuring out what information is useful here. since he formual does not need lengths of any kind, all you have left is the mass of the barge and the tension in the rope. The tension is force and the barge is a mass. I think you got it from here dude.

Damn this was easy!
I think the question is complicated and therefore hard to understand. What is the use of saying that the point the rope is connected to is 2m away from the bank or that the rope is 10m long. WHY EVEN MENTION A CANAL?

well, thank you. This was quite simple :D

DaMastaofFisix said:
Mkay, so the basic physics principle here is the relationship betwenn pulling forces and the resulting motion. In this simple case, the two interacting areas are the forces and the resulting ACCELERATION of the barge. This physical phenomenon is called Neto'ns second law of motion, which in mahematical form states that F=ma, where F is the NET force acting on a body and a is the resulting acceleration.

The question here is figuring out what information is useful here. since he formual does not need lengths of any kind, all you have left is the mass of the barge and the tension in the rope. The tension is force and the barge is a mass. I think you got it from here dude.

I'm afraid this analysis is wrong. You need to resolve the tension so that it is parallel to the canal, at the moment it is cutting it diagonally across. The question only asks for the acceleration parallel to the canal, not the net acceleration. This question requires the use of trig, that is why the lengths are given.

Now that you put it this way, I figured out that sin A = 2/10 = 11.5 degrees. Since F = 500 x cos 11.5
F = 490 N approximately
F = ma

490 = 5000 x a

490/5000 = a

a = 0.098 m/seconds squared

This look correct?

Pirang said:
Now that you put it this way, I figured out that sin A = 2/10 = 11.5 degrees. Since F = 500 x cos 11.5
F = 490 N approximately
F = ma

490 = 5000 x a

490/5000 = a

a = 0.098 m/seconds squared

This look correct?

Looks good to me. :smile: Note - I sent you a PM to see this thread, I didn't want you writing up incorrect work! :wink:

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a Barge Being Pulled by a Horse Along a Canal

1. What are the two main components of a vector?

The two main components of a vector are magnitude and direction. Magnitude refers to the length or size of the vector, while direction refers to the angle at which the vector is pointing.

2. How are vector components represented?

In a two-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, vector components are usually represented by their horizontal and vertical components, known as x and y respectively. In a three-dimensional system, vector components can also include a z component.

3. What is the difference between the components of a vector and its resultant?

The components of a vector refer to its individual parts, while the resultant is the vector that represents the combination of all the components. The resultant can be found by using mathematical operations such as addition or subtraction on the components.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector can be calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the magnitude is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the individual components. In other words, the magnitude is equal to the square root of (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) in a three-dimensional system.

5. How are scalar quantities related to vector components?

Scalar quantities are those that have only magnitude and no direction, such as speed or mass. Vector components, on the other hand, have both magnitude and direction. In some cases, scalar quantities can be derived from vector components by taking the magnitude of the vector, such as finding the speed from the velocity vector.