Calculating Acceleration of a Squash Ball Stopped by a Racket

In summary, when a squash ball is traveling at 9 m/sec horizontally to the right and is stopped by a racket in 0.003 secs, its acceleration is negative -=-30 m/s/s.
bob4000
how would i find acceleration if a squash ball is traveling at 9m/sec horizontally to the right and is stopped by a racket in 0.003 secs?

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] a = \frac{V_{final} - V_{initial}}{t} [/tex]

sub in your variables and voila.

i still don't get it, I am new to this stuff, ur going to have to tell me step by step... and also anotha question - a tennis ball moving to the right at 5m/sec is hit by a racket and accelerated to the left leaving the tennis racket at a speed of 25m/sec to the left. if the contact time is 0.012 secs, calculate the average acceleration - again i need step by step instructions to understand

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, or, the total change in velocity over the time it takes to make that change.

As a ball approaches a racket, it goes from a positive velocity to a stop. Then as it rebounds it goes from zero to a negative velocity. THe total change in velocity is the amound of positive velocity it lost, plus the subsequent negative velocity it gained. In formula form it is v(final) - v (initial). If initial is a positive value, and final is a negative value, notice that your total change in velocity will be negative.

Take the total change in velocity and divide it by the time given, and you will have your acceleration. If you do it right , you will see that the acceleration is a negative quantity.

thankx for the help, but i think i got it wrong, cos i got -1666.6666... Should I be doing (5-25) divided by 0.012?

Follow exactly what Chi Meson explained...

Think this way:
initial velocity = +5 m/s (let positive mean to the right)
final velocity = -25 m/s (to the left)
change in velocity = final - initial = -25 - 5 = - 30 m/s
time = 0.012 s
average acceleration = - 30/0.012 m/s/s (note that acceleration is negative, meaning: to the left)

thanks to everyone for the help, really appreciate it. :smile:

FAQ: Calculating Acceleration of a Squash Ball Stopped by a Racket

1. What is the definition of acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, which means it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. It is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the initial and final velocities, while instantaneous acceleration only considers the velocity at a single point in time.

4. How does the mass of the ball affect its acceleration?

The mass of the ball does not directly affect its acceleration. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a ball with a larger mass will require a greater force to accelerate it at the same rate as a ball with a smaller mass.

5. What factors can affect the acceleration of a ball?

The acceleration of a ball can be affected by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. The surface on which the ball is rolling or bouncing can also affect its acceleration. Additionally, the initial velocity and direction of the ball can impact its acceleration as well.

Back