Calculating Acceleration of Disks Welded Together

• Thread starter kudoushinichi88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
In summary, the block is accelerated downwards at a magnitude of 2.88m/s^2 when it is released from the disk with radius R1=2.50cm. When the block is released from the disk with radius R2=5.00cm, the acceleration is 16.3 m/s^2.
kudoushinichi88

Homework Statement

Two metal disks one with radius R1 = 2.50cm and mass M1=0.80kg and the other with radius R2=5.00cm and mass M2=1.60kg are welded together and mounted on a frictionless axis through their common center.
a) a light string is wrapped around the edge of the smaller disk, and a 1.50kg block is suspended from the free end of the string. What is the magnitude of the downward acceleration of the block after it is released?
b) repeat the calculation of part (a), this time with the string wrapped around the edge of the larger disk. In which case is the acceleration of the block greater?

Homework Equations

[itex]
\tau=FR=I\alpha
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My approach is that I will first try to find the angular acceleration of the disks

F= the weight of the block, R=R1 and I=total inertia of the disks and alpha=angular acceleration of the disks. So...

[itex]
mgR_1=\frac{1}{2}\left(M_1R_1^2+M_2R_2^2\right)\alpha
[/itex]

plugging in the numbers, i got [itex]\alpha=163 rad s^{-2}[/itex]

using the equation [itex]a_{tan}=R\alpha[/itex], I got a=4.08m/s^2 which seemed like a sensible answer, but not the correct answer.

The correct answer is a=2.88m/s^2.

Did I miss something? Or did I do something wrong??

b) when I tried the same steps but this time using R2, I got a=16.3 m/s^2 which is totally nonsense. O.O||

What did I do wrong? Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The mass is not falling freely. So the torque due to suspended mass is not equal to mgR1.
If T is the tension in the string then
ma = mg - T
Now write down the expression torque and find the acceleration using the above equation.

ah... now I get it! Thanks!

Related to Calculating Acceleration of Disks Welded Together

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration of disks welded together?

The formula for calculating acceleration of disks welded together is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do I measure the final velocity of the disks?

The final velocity of the disks can be measured by using a stopwatch to record the time it takes for the disks to travel a certain distance. The final velocity can then be calculated by dividing the distance by the time.

3. Can the acceleration of disks welded together be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of disks welded together can be negative. A negative acceleration indicates that the disks are slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

4. What units should I use for the measurements in the formula?

The units used in the formula for calculating acceleration of disks welded together should be consistent. For example, if the distance is measured in meters, then the time should be measured in seconds and the acceleration will be in meters per second squared (m/s2).

5. Can I use this formula for calculating acceleration of disks of any size?

Yes, the formula for calculating acceleration of disks welded together can be used for disks of any size. However, it is important to ensure that the measurements used in the formula are accurate and consistent to get an accurate result.