Calculating Acceleration of Mass in Atwood Machine

In summary, the conversation discusses an Atwood machine with two masses and a frictionless pulley. The equations for each mass are Mg - T = ma and T - mg = ma, with the assumption that clockwise is positive. The equations are then solved to find the acceleration and tension in the system. The conversation also mentions the use of the N=mg equation and provides a link to a diagram of the pulley system.
jti3066
1.In the diagram above, the pulley is frictionless and the ropes are massless. Given that m1 = 14.5 kg and m2 = 23.0 kg, calculate the acceleration of m2 downwards. What is the magnitude of the tension in the string?
http://loncapa2.fsu.edu/enc/59/442f45016df264899bda870a0d495f3be185f0a9c3a069c0974d3402c80bd41f1205766cdaec4ada41f4efc2666f14750f4fc16641ffd2b0af613da7e393c18c701021fb78fb5ffbd3d77c79fd9b210f.gifI am not sure what the relevant equations would be.

N=mg?

3. The Attempt at a Solution

N1=(14.5)*(9.81)
N2=(23-14.5)*(a)

Set the equations equal and then solve for "a"?

I do know that this is an Atwood machine. I have searched this forum for examples and I am still unsure of how to solve this problem. TIA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok i solved the problem thanks to some further research...

For mass1: Mg - T = ma

For mass2: T-mg = ma

Solved for T then put back into the equation for mass2...However, could someone give me the reasoning behind the order of the two equations i.e. Mg - T and T - Mg...TIA

"order of the two equations"?
I probably don't understand, but there is no special order - either one could be written first. They are just the "sum of forces = ma" for each of the two masses.

Can't see your diagram.

Sorry...why is the equation for mass1 Mg - T = ma...and why is the equation for mass2 written as T - Mg = ma...why are they "reversed"? Where one is -T while the other is +T...the same question could be asked for Mg...

Okay - sorry I'm a bit obtuse!
I'm guessing that the tension is up on one mass and down on the other so that's why the sign changes on the T. But it is odd to have a positive Mg as if gravity is up. I wish I could see the diagram.

It will take a few hours for that attachment to be approved.
If convenient, post it to a free photo site like photobucket.com and put a link here. If you put IMG in square brackets before the link and /IMG in square brackets after it, the pic will show up right in the post.

I found a picture of the Atwood machine and the equations you used here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atwood_machine
They are taking clockwise to be positive so they get mg positive on the one that is accelerating upward and mg negative on the one that is accelerating downward. You are free to choose whatever sign convention you want on each side, and it makes sense to keep all the forces and accelerations positive.

Maybe better to think of it this way:
Assume the acceleration is up on the left and down on the right and use "a" for both. Then you have -mg on the left because it opposes the ma. If the assumption is wrong, you'll end up with a negative value for a.

Related to Calculating Acceleration of Mass in Atwood Machine

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of mass in an Atwood machine?

To calculate the acceleration of mass in an Atwood machine, you need to use the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the purpose of an Atwood machine?

An Atwood machine is used to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and acceleration due to gravity. It can also be used to measure the acceleration of an object and to study the relationship between mass and acceleration.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of an Atwood machine?

The acceleration of an Atwood machine is affected by the difference in masses on either side of the pulley, the mass of the pulley itself, and the gravitational force acting on the masses.

4. Can the acceleration of an Atwood machine be greater than the acceleration due to gravity?

No, the acceleration of an Atwood machine can never be greater than the acceleration due to gravity. This is because the mass on one side of the pulley is always pulling down with the force of gravity, which is the maximum force that can act on the system.

5. How can an Atwood machine be used to determine the value of gravity?

An Atwood machine can be used to determine the value of gravity by measuring the masses on either side of the pulley and the acceleration of the system. By rearranging the formula a = (m1 - m2)g / (m1 + m2) to solve for g, you can calculate the acceleration due to gravity. This can then be compared to the accepted value of 9.8 m/s² to determine the accuracy of the measurement.