Calculating Acceleration of Skateboarder on 11.9m Ramp

You need to find the horizontal component.In summary, the conversation discusses a skateboarder rolling down a ramp and arriving at the bottom with a speed of 6.77 m/s. The task is to determine the magnitude of her constant acceleration and the component of her acceleration parallel to the ground. The solution involves using kinematic equations and resolving the acceleration into horizontal and vertical components.
miniz88

Homework Statement

A skateboarder, starting from rest, rolls down a 11.9-m ramp. When she arrives at the bottom of the ramp her speed is 6.77 m/s. (a) Determine the magnitude of her acceleration, assumed to be constant. (b) If the ramp is inclined at 29.8 ° with respect to the ground, what is the component of her acceleration that is parallel to the ground?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even have a clue where to start? How can i figure out the magnitude of acceleration without the time?? And i dnt even understand what the second part is asking at all?

Any help on where to start is appreciated..

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't even have a clue where to start? How can i figure out the magnitude of acceleration without the time??
You may not have the time, but you have the distance. Take a closer look at your kinematic equations.

And i dnt even understand what the second part is asking at all?
Since she is accelerating down the ramp (so at an angle with the ground). You can resolve her acceleration into horizontal and vertical components.

I would suggest starting by breaking down the problem into smaller parts and using the equations of motion to solve for the unknowns.

For part (a), we know that the skateboarder starts from rest and reaches a speed of 6.77 m/s at the bottom of the ramp. We also know the distance traveled, which is 11.9 m. The equation we can use to solve for acceleration is v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (in this case, 0 m/s), a is the acceleration, and s is the distance traveled. Rearranging the equation, we get a = (v^2 - u^2)/2s. Plugging in the values, we get a = (6.77^2 - 0^2)/2(11.9) = 2.88 m/s^2. This is the magnitude of the acceleration.

For part (b), we need to find the component of the acceleration that is parallel to the ground. This means we only need to consider the acceleration in the x-direction (since the ramp is inclined at an angle with respect to the ground). We can use the equation a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and θ is the angle of the ramp (29.8°). Plugging in the values, we get a = (9.8)(sin 29.8°) = 4.99 m/s^2. This is the component of acceleration parallel to the ground.

Overall, it is important to remember to carefully read and understand the problem, break it down into smaller parts, and use relevant equations to solve for the unknowns.

Related to Calculating Acceleration of Skateboarder on 11.9m Ramp

1. How is acceleration calculated for a skateboarder on an 11.9m ramp?

The formula for acceleration is acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time. In this case, the final velocity is the skateboarder's velocity at the end of the ramp, the initial velocity is their velocity at the beginning of the ramp (usually 0 m/s), and the time is the duration of their run on the ramp.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2). This represents the change in velocity over time, with the unit of velocity divided by the unit of time.

3. How does the steepness of the ramp affect the skateboarder's acceleration?

The steeper the ramp, the greater the acceleration of the skateboarder. This is because gravity is the main force acting on the skateboarder, and on a steeper ramp, the force of gravity is stronger, resulting in a faster acceleration.

4. What other factors can affect the acceleration of a skateboarder on an 11.9m ramp?

Aside from the steepness of the ramp, other factors that can affect acceleration include the weight and mass of the skateboarder, the friction between the skateboard wheels and the ramp, and any external forces such as wind resistance.

5. How can the acceleration of a skateboarder on an 11.9m ramp be used in real-world applications?

The calculation of acceleration on a skateboard ramp can be used to determine the speed and velocity of the skateboarder, which can be useful in sports and competition settings. It can also be used in engineering and design to optimize the construction of ramps for maximum speed and safety. Additionally, understanding acceleration can help improve skateboarder safety by providing knowledge on how to control and adjust speed while on a ramp.