Calculating acceleration with slug and lbs

In summary, according to Wikipedia, a slug is a unit of mass, equal to g pounds-mass (i.e., 32.17405 lbm). It is the amount of mass that will accelerate at one foot per second squared when one pound-force is applied. It can be thought of as a pound-weight divided by 1 ft/s². It is mostly used when "pound" is used to mean a force, and avoids the need of an extra constant in Newton's second law \mathbf{F}\ =\ m\mathbf{a}. It is a unit in the gravitational foot-pound-second (
tratata

Homework Statement

What is the acceleration when a 30.0 lb force acts on a 12.2 slug mass?

Homework Equations

a=F/m

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't quite figure out the slug thing. I took 12.2 slugs to be 392.5 lb/ft/s2
Then divided 30 by 392.5 lbs got canceled out and I'm left with ft/s2 in denominator which the is reversed because we are dividing fractions ? Is this right? I get 7.6 x 10 -2 ft/s2
Thanks a million!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to Wikipedia, 1 slug = 1 lbf/ft/s2.

hi tratata! :smile:
tratata said:

I can't quite figure out the slug thing. I took 12.2 slugs to be 392.5 lb/ft/s2
Then divided 30 by 392.5 lbs got canceled out and I'm left with ft/s2 in denominator which the is reversed because we are dividing fractions ? Is this right? I get 7.6 x 10 -2 ft/s2
Thanks a million!

no, you don't need to convert …

the whole point of using slugs is to keep things simple …

F = ma works fine if the mass is in slugs and the force is in lb-force :wink:

from the pf library on slug
In Europe, a slug is one of many varieties of gastropod mollusc.

In English-speaking countries, it is a unit of mass, equal to g pounds-mass (i.e., 32.17405 lbm). It is the amount of mass that will accelerate at one foot per second squared when one pound-force is applied.

It can be thought of as a pound-weight divided by 1 ft/s².

It is mostly used when "pound" is used to mean a force, and avoids the need of an extra constant in Newton's second law [itex]\mathbf{F}\ =\ m\mathbf{a}[/itex].

It is a unit in the gravitational foot-pound-second (fps) system.​

Hi tiny-tim! Thanks for your response! If a=F/m and I don't need to convert then I divide 12.2 by 30 I get 0.41 - where lbs gets canceled out and I'm left with ft/s2? Does that seem right? Thanks!

hi tratata! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
tratata said:
tratata said:
If a=F/m and I don't need to convert then I divide 12.2 by 30 I get 0.41 - where lbs gets canceled out and I'm left with ft/s2? Does that seem right? Thanks!

wouldn't it be better to divide the force by the mass? :wink:

It sure would )))))))

hello

hey guys i want to become a scientist and i need lessons

That's what school is for.

addaemark said:
hey guys i want to become a scientist and i need lessons

I've been using the internet for quite some time. I haven't become old enough for my first high school physics/chemistry class but that doesn't mean the the information isn't out there. Wikipedia is your friend.

Also this is a good site: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics

And this guy on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/DrPhysicsA

Related to Calculating acceleration with slug and lbs

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It measures how quickly the object's speed or direction is changing.

How is acceleration calculated with slug and lbs?

Acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is force in pounds, and m is mass in slugs. This equation is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

What is a slug?

A slug is a unit of mass commonly used in the imperial system of measurement. It is defined as the mass that accelerates at a rate of 1 ft/s^2 when a force of 1 lb is applied to it. In other words, 1 slug is equal to 32.174 pounds.

What is a pound (lb)?

A pound (lb) is a unit of force commonly used in the imperial system of measurement. It is defined as the force required to accelerate 1 slug at a rate of 1 ft/s^2. In other words, 1 lb is equal to 1/32.174 slugs.

How do I convert between slugs and pounds?

To convert from slugs to pounds, multiply the number of slugs by 32.174. To convert from pounds to slugs, divide the number of pounds by 32.174. It is important to note that slugs and pounds are not interchangeable units and should only be used in their respective equations for calculating acceleration.