Calculating Activity of Purified Cox-2: A Student's Homework Solution

In summary: Calculate the fold of purification. Since the final purification has a specific activity of 1.18*10^6 micromol/sec/mL and the crude extract has a specific activity of 102,500 micromol/sec/mg, the fold of purification is: 1.18*10^6 micromol/sec/mL / 102,500 micromol/sec/mg = 11.5-fold.5. Calculate the specific activity of the final purification in micromol/sec/mL. Since the fold of purification is 11.
Soaring Crane

Homework Statement

A student purified cox-2. The crude extract contained 12 g of protein and had 23,000 units of cox-2 activity in 800 mL. The final purification using an affinity column resulted in 3 mL that was 2,300 fold pure. What was the activity of 5 microL of the final purification?

Homework Equations

See below.

The Attempt at a Solution

Under my assumption, enzyme units will be represented by micromol/sec/mL for each purification step. Purification is reflected through specific activity. Therefore,

Crude extract’s specific activity = micromol/sec/mg protein = (23,000 micromol/sec/mL * 800 mL)/(12,000 mg) = 1533.33 micromol/sec/mg

Fold of purification = final purification’s specific activity / crude extract’s specific activity

final purification’s specific activity = Fold of purification * crude extract’s specific activity = 2300*1533.33 micromol/sec/mg = 3.53*10^6 micromol/sec/mg

This part is where I am confused over as total enzyme activity does not include mg of protein.

Is this setup permissible?

12 g / x = 800 mL / 3 mL, where x = final purification’s total mass of protein in g??

If above is true, then:

X = .045 g = 45 mg

3.53*10^6 micromol/sec/mg * 45 mg = 1.587*10^8 micromol/sec

Activity in 3 mL = (1.587*10^8 micromol/sec)/(3 mL) = 5.29*10^7 micromol/sec/mL

The total enzyme activity in 5 microL of final purification is: 5.29*10^7 micromol/sec/mL * (5*10^-3 mL) = 2.65*10^5 micromol/sec.

I don’t know if I have my unit definitions correct, so please tell if my setup is correct. If my approach is wrong, then guide me.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Your approach is mostly correct, but there are some minor errors in your unit conversions and calculations. Here is a step-by-step guide to solving this problem:

1. Convert the units of the final purification's specific activity from micromol/sec/mg to micromol/sec/mL. Since the final purification has a volume of 3 mL and a specific activity of 3.53*10^6 micromol/sec/mg, the final purification's specific activity in micromol/sec/mL is: (3.53*10^6 micromol/sec/mg) * (1 mg/1000 μg) * (1000 μL/3 mL) = 1.18*10^6 micromol/sec/mL.

2. Calculate the total mass of protein in the final purification. Since the final purification has a specific activity of 1.18*10^6 micromol/sec/mL and a volume of 3 mL, the total enzyme activity in the final purification is: (1.18*10^6 micromol/sec/mL) * (3 mL) = 3.54*10^6 micromol/sec. To calculate the total mass of protein in the final purification, we can use the relationship: enzyme activity (μmol/sec) = specific activity (μmol/sec/mg) * total mass of protein (mg). Rearranging this equation, we get: total mass of protein (mg) = enzyme activity (μmol/sec) / specific activity (μmol/sec/mg). Plugging in the values, we get: total mass of protein (mg) = 3.54*10^6 micromol/sec / 1.18*10^6 micromol/sec/mg = 3 mg.

3. Calculate the specific activity of the crude extract. Since the crude extract has a volume of 800 mL and a specific activity of 1533.33 micromol/sec/mg, the total enzyme activity in the crude extract is: (1533.33 micromol/sec/mg) * (800 mL) = 1.23*10^6 micromol/sec. To calculate the specific activity of the crude extract, we can use the relationship: specific activity (μmol/sec/mg) = enzyme activity (μmol/sec) / total mass of protein (mg). Plugging in the values, we get: specific

Related to Calculating Activity of Purified Cox-2: A Student's Homework Solution

1. How do you calculate the activity of purified Cox-2?

To calculate the activity of purified Cox-2, you will need to measure its enzymatic activity using a spectrophotometer. This involves measuring the rate of conversion of a substrate to a product. The activity is then calculated using the formula: Activity = (ΔA/min) / (ε x l x v), where ΔA is the change in absorbance over time, ε is the molar extinction coefficient of the product, l is the path length of the cuvette, and v is the volume of the reaction mixture.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the activity of purified Cox-2?

The activity of purified Cox-2 is a measure of its enzymatic function and can provide valuable information about its role in various biological processes. It can also be used to compare the activity of different Cox-2 samples and to assess the effectiveness of inhibitors or activators.

3. What is a spectrophotometer and why is it used in this calculation?

A spectrophotometer is a scientific instrument used to measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths. In this calculation, it is used to measure the change in absorbance over time as Cox-2 converts a substrate to a product. This allows for the determination of the enzyme's activity.

4. Can the activity of purified Cox-2 be affected by experimental conditions?

Yes, the activity of purified Cox-2 can be affected by various experimental conditions such as temperature, pH, and the presence of cofactors or inhibitors. It is important to keep these factors consistent when comparing the activity of different samples.

5. Are there any limitations to this method of calculating the activity of purified Cox-2?

One limitation of this method is that it only measures the activity of Cox-2 in a test tube and may not accurately reflect its activity in a biological system. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation depends on the precision of the spectrophotometer and the purity of the Cox-2 sample.

Back