Calculating Airplane Velocity in Windy Conditions: A Vector Problem

In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of an airplane relative to the air, given that it has flown for 18 minutes in a wind blowing at 49 km/h at an angle of 22 degrees south of east, and is now 51 km due north of the starting point. The approach involves using the Pythagorean theorem and possibly the law of sines to find the vectors, and using the information about the distance traveled and the wind resistance to find the velocity before wind resistance.
tigerlili

Homework Statement

After flying for 18 min in a wind blowing 49 km/h at an angle of 22° south of east, an airplane pilot is over a town that is 51 km due north of the starting point. What is the speed of the airplane relative to the air, in km/h?

Homework Equations

all i know to do here is to use the pythagorean theorem and maybe the law of sines to figure out the vectors

The Attempt at a Solution

i tried a couple of ways with different triangles but i only have 3 tries left and i seem to be floundering around in the dark on this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you tried, then we will be able to correct and explain where you went wrong.

i honestly don't even know how to draw the diagram :/ i don't know where to put the starting point of the plane relative to the wind vector or what role the 51 km plays.. the wording is just confusing me

Alright, you know that the pilot has traveled 51 km in 18 minutes. You can use that information to find the pilot's velocity after wind resistance.

Wind is blowing at 49 km/h at an angle of 22 degrees south of east; find component vectors. You can then use the components to find the velocity before wind resistance. I think that's what's being asked.

FAQ: Calculating Airplane Velocity in Windy Conditions: A Vector Problem

1. What is a plane speed vector problem?

A plane speed vector problem involves calculating the velocity of an aircraft in terms of its speed and direction, represented by a vector.

2. How is the speed of a plane determined in a vector problem?

The speed of a plane in a vector problem is determined by taking the magnitude of the vector, which represents the length of the vector.

3. Why is it important to consider the direction of the plane in a vector problem?

The direction of the plane is important because it affects the overall velocity of the aircraft. In a vector problem, the direction and magnitude of the vector represent the speed and direction of the plane, respectively.

4. What information is needed to solve a plane speed vector problem?

To solve a plane speed vector problem, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the vector, as well as any other relevant information such as the wind speed and direction.

5. Can a plane's speed vector change during flight?

Yes, a plane's speed vector can change during flight due to factors such as wind speed and direction, changes in engine power, and changes in the plane's heading.