Calculating Amperage from a 3 Farad Capacitor

In summary, Ramone thinks that you can derive the amperage from a capacitor's farad rating by using a formula. He also suggests that you google "RC constant formulas" or "RC transient" to find out the current.
ramonegumpert
Dear Experts

I bought some 3 Farad electrolytic capacitors at 2.5v each.

I am wondering how much amperage can i get from 1 such capacitors if charged fully and then discharged fully?

I think this is measured in Amp-hours.

Is there a formula to derive the amperage from the capacitor's farad rating?

Please recommend where I can get free samples of super capacitors or boost capacitors.

Thanks a lot :)

Best regards
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can find what you want to know from some of the most basic electrical laws and formulas. You know, the basics like Q=CV, definitions, etc. When you fully discharge a capacitor from fully charged the current (amps) will be constantly changing. Not sure what you are trying to do here but that is something to think about. BTW, what you call amperage is generally called current and is measured in amperes. Amp-hours is usually something that is associated with batteries. A battery is able to produce a given current for a specified time and the product of those two is amp-hours. A battery that is rated for 100 amp hours can do 10 amps for 10 hours or 5 amps for 20 hours.

What will your capacitor be charging? Any time you change the load (resistance)...you just changed the RC constant.

I'm assume you are using a battery to charge it? Also assuming you are talking about a cap in series with a resistor (load)

If so...just google "RC constant formulas"..."or RC transient"...and plug and chug for the current.

The formula for use of battery looks like this:
i(t)={[V-Vc(0)]/R}*e^((-t/(RC))

V is your voltage source...and Vc(0) is your initial charge on your capacitor.

If you are charging cap...Vc(0) will just be zero...

If you are discharging the cap...disconnect the battery...and ignore the V in your formula. I'm assuming Vc(0) will be 2.5 volts in this case.

Hello Averagesupernova and Psparky

Thanks very much for your replies and advice .

Psparky guessed correctly. I am trying to charge a lithium ion battery.

Will cyclic discharging of the capacitors to the battery cause the battery to age faster or is constant DC voltage slow charging better for the battery life?

Thanks!

regards
Ramone

Dear Ramone,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding calculating amperage from a 3 Farad capacitor. The amperage from a capacitor is not directly related to its Farad rating. Instead, it is determined by the voltage and resistance in the circuit. The formula for calculating amperage in a capacitor is I = C * (dV/dt), where I is the amperage, C is the capacitance in Farads, and (dV/dt) is the rate of change of voltage over time. Therefore, to determine the amperage from a 3 Farad capacitor, we would need to know the voltage and resistance in the circuit.

As for obtaining free samples of super capacitors or boost capacitors, I would recommend reaching out to manufacturers or distributors directly. Many companies offer free samples for testing and evaluation purposes.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,

Related to Calculating Amperage from a 3 Farad Capacitor

1. How do I calculate amperage from a 3 Farad capacitor?

To calculate amperage from a 3 Farad capacitor, you will need to know the voltage applied to the capacitor and the time it takes to charge or discharge. The formula for calculating amperage is I = C * (ΔV/Δt), where I is the amperage, C is the capacitance (in this case, 3 Farads), and ΔV/Δt is the change in voltage over time.

2. Can I use the same formula to calculate amperage for a different capacitance value?

Yes, the formula for calculating amperage from a capacitor is the same regardless of the capacitance value. However, the resulting amperage will vary depending on the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. What units should I use for voltage and time in the amperage calculation?

For voltage, you should use volts (V) and for time, you should use seconds (s). This will ensure that the amperage is calculated in amps (A), which is the standard unit for measuring electrical current.

4. Is there a maximum amperage that can be calculated from a 3 Farad capacitor?

No, there is no maximum amperage that can be calculated from a 3 Farad capacitor. The amperage will depend on the voltage and time values used in the calculation.

5. Can I use the amperage calculation to determine the power of a circuit?

No, the amperage calculation only determines the amount of electrical current flowing through a circuit. To determine the power of a circuit, you will also need to know the voltage and use the formula P = VI, where P is power, V is voltage, and I is amperage.