Calculating an n X n determinant

TGV320
Homework Statement
Help in order to solve a determinant
Relevant Equations
Determinants
Hello,

I need some advice because I just can't figure out how to solve the problem. I could try to make the determinant triangular by adding all the b together, but that doen't seem a good way of solving the problem. Is there any direction I should be thinking of?

1699948294438.jpg
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not calculate the determinant for ##n = 2, 3, 4## and see whether a pattern emerges?

Likes TGV320, e_jane and topsquark
TGV320 said:
Homework Statement: Help in order to solve a determinant
Relevant Equations: Determinants

Hello,

I need some advice because I just can't figure out how to solve the problem. I could try to make the determinant triangular by adding all the b together, but that doen't seem a good way of solving the problem. Is there any direction I should be thinking of?

View attachment 335323Thanks
Hint: Follow PeroK's advice and find the determinant by expanding along the bottom row.

-Dan

Likes TGV320, e_jane and PeroK
By considering the Leibniz formula, one can figure out that only some terms survive, where the permutations do not contain zeroes.

Likes TGV320 and topsquark
Multiply the ##i^{th}## row by ##-a_i## and add it to the first. You just need to see what the top left element will be.

Likes TGV320 and topsquark
Hi,
Thanks for the advice.
I have figured it out,though I never thought about getting the answer by experimenting on it, always thought it to n. That way of doing it with n=2 then 3 is quite illuminating.

1700045361111.jpg

Related to Calculating an n X n determinant

What is an n x n determinant?

An n x n determinant is a scalar value that can be computed from the elements of an n x n square matrix. It provides important properties of the matrix, such as whether it is invertible, and is used in various applications in linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations.

How do you calculate the determinant of a 2 x 2 matrix?

To calculate the determinant of a 2 x 2 matrix, you use the formula det(A) = ad - bc, where the matrix A is represented as:\[ \begin{pmatrix} a & b \\ c & d \end{pmatrix} \]So, you multiply the elements on the main diagonal (a and d) and subtract the product of the elements on the other diagonal (b and c).

What is the cofactor expansion method for calculating determinants?

The cofactor expansion method, also known as Laplace expansion, involves expanding the determinant along a row or column. For an n x n matrix, you choose a row or column, then sum the products of each element in that row or column with its corresponding cofactor. The cofactor is calculated by taking the determinant of the submatrix that remains after removing the element's row and column, and multiplying it by (-1)^(i+j), where i and j are the row and column indices of the element.

Can you use row reduction to calculate the determinant?

Yes, you can use row reduction (Gaussian elimination) to calculate the determinant. By transforming the matrix into an upper triangular form using row operations, the determinant of the original matrix is equal to the product of the diagonal elements of the upper triangular matrix. However, you must account for any row swaps by multiplying the determinant by -1 for each swap, and for any row multiplications by a scalar, you must divide the determinant by that scalar.

What are some properties of determinants that simplify their calculation?

Several properties of determinants can simplify their calculation:1. The determinant of a diagonal or triangular matrix (upper or lower) is the product of its diagonal elements.2. Swapping two rows or columns of a matrix multiplies its determinant by -1.3. Multiplying a row or column by a scalar multiplies the determinant by that scalar.4. Adding a multiple of one row or column to another row or column does not change the determinant.5. The determinant of a matrix with a row or column of zeros is zero.