Calculating Angle of Deviation when Building Tilted on Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle (in radians) at which a building deviates from the vertical after a horizontal plane is tilted. The solution involves using the cross product and dot product, but there is uncertainty about the direction of the vertical axis.
doublemint

Homework Statement

A vertical building was built on a horizontal plane. The plane is then tilted to A=(0,0,0) B=(1,2,0) and C=(0,3,1). By what angle (in radians) does the building now deviate from the vertical?

Homework Equations

Dot Product
Cross Product

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did was take the cross product of the B and C, relative to A.

BxC = |2 0|, |1 0|, |1 2| = (2, -1, 3)
...|3 1|, -|0 1|, |0 3|

Now this is the part where I don't know what to do.

I took the Dot product of (BxC) with (0, 1, 0)

theta = arccos (u.v)/(|u||v|) = (-1/[tex]\sqrt{}14[/tex][tex]\sqrt{}1[/tex])

and i got an angle to be 1.84 in radians, which was wrong. I don't know what the answer is, I'm using webwork
So if anyone can help me, that would be great.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the vertical direction is (0,1,0)? My guess would have been that they meant it to be (0,0,1).

Your Right! I must of been thinking in 2D..
Thank You Dick!

FAQ: Calculating Angle of Deviation when Building Tilted on Plane

1. How do I calculate the angle of deviation when building is tilted on a plane?

The angle of deviation can be calculated by using the trigonometric function tangent (tan). This can be done by dividing the vertical distance (height) of the building by the horizontal distance (length) of the building. The resulting value will be the tangent of the angle of deviation, which can then be solved for by using a scientific calculator or online tool.

2. What factors contribute to the angle of deviation when building is tilted on a plane?

The angle of deviation is influenced by the height and length of the building, as well as the slope of the plane on which it is tilted. The steeper the slope, the larger the angle of deviation will be. Additionally, any obstructions or unevenness in the plane can also affect the angle of deviation.

3. Can the angle of deviation be negative?

Yes, the angle of deviation can be negative if the building is tilted in the opposite direction of the slope of the plane. A negative angle of deviation indicates that the building is leaning downwards, while a positive angle of deviation indicates that the building is leaning upwards.

4. How does the angle of deviation affect the stability of a building?

The angle of deviation is an important factor to consider in the stability of a building. A larger angle of deviation means that the building is leaning more, which can increase the risk of collapse or structural damage. It is important for builders and engineers to carefully calculate and account for the angle of deviation in order to ensure the safety and stability of the building.

5. Are there any special tools or techniques used to calculate the angle of deviation?

There are several tools and techniques that can be used to calculate the angle of deviation, such as using a protractor or inclinometer to measure the angle directly, or using a laser level to determine the slope of the plane. Additionally, there are online calculators and computer programs that can help with more complex calculations and provide accurate results.