Calculating Angle Theta in a Two-Puck Elastic Collision

• Thread starter NotMrX
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the angle theta in an elastic collision between two pucks, where one is initially moving to the east at a velocity of 3.6 m/s and the other is at rest. The conversation presents several equations and methods for solving the problem, including using conservation of momentum and energy, as well as trigonometric identities. Ultimately, it is determined that the angle theta can be found by using the simple expression cos(theta) = V_{1f} / V_{1i} and considering the relationship between theta and phi, which is always 90 degrees.
NotMrX
Suppose there are two puck of equal mass. That the first puck moves to the east at a velocity of 3.6 m/s while the second one is at rest. Then there is an elastic collision. The first puck moves at an angle theta north of east with a velocity of 1.3 m/s. The second puck moves south of east at angle phi. What is the angle theta?

I have attempted the problem but haven't gotten it to work out yet. Here is what I did.

Momentum in the x direction:
[tex]v_{1i}=v_{1f}*cos(\theta )+v_{2f}cos(\phi )[/tex]

Momentum in the y direction:
[tex]0=v_{1f}*sin(\theta )+v_{2f}sin(\phi )[/tex]

Consevation of Energy:
[tex]v_{1i}^2=v_{1f}^2+v_{2f}^2[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you can get v2 from the conservation of energy equation, and then you have 2 equations and the two unknown angles...

I have a hard time solving the equations once I get them.

From energy we can say:
[tex]v_{2f}=\sqrt{v_{1i}^2-v_{1f}^2[/tex]

From y momentum we get:
[tex]sin(\phi )=\frac{-v_{1f}*sin(\theta )}{v_{2f}}[/tex]

From the x momentum we get:
[tex]cos(\phi )=\frac{v_{1i}-v_{1f}*cos(\theta )}{v_{2f}}[/tex]

Here is the trick. I draw the triangles then I say that the adjacent legs are the same value since both have the same hypotnuse v2f and the same angle phi.
[tex]v_{1i}-v_{1f}*cos(\theta )=\sqrt{v_{2f}^2-(v_{1f}*sin(\phi )^2}[/tex]

From here it is possible to solve I just wondered if anyone knew any easier way.

Is the angle between the final velocity of the pucks supposed to be 90 degrees because when I worked it out I got something like 88.6 degrees?

I read that it is always 90 degrees so I guess I can say:

90= theta - phi

since phi is going in the negative direction.

Then I could use the double angle thereom which might be a little easier. The final expression I ended up with was:

[tex]cos(\theta )=\frac{V_{1f}}{V_{1i}}[/tex]

Which seems so simple, yet I had to go through so many hoops to get it. I feel like there must be some short cut.

yep it is much easier to say that:
sin(Phi)=sin(pheta-90)=-cos(pheta)

Related to Calculating Angle Theta in a Two-Puck Elastic Collision

1. How do you calculate the force of impact when two pucks collide?

The force of impact can be calculated using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the puck, and a is the acceleration. The mass can be measured using a scale, while the acceleration can be calculated by measuring the change in velocity before and after the collision.

2. What factors affect the outcome of a collision between two pucks?

The outcome of a collision between two pucks can be affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and angle of impact. The elasticity of the pucks and the surface they are colliding on can also play a role in the outcome.

3. How does the conservation of momentum apply to a collision between two pucks?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of two pucks colliding, the total momentum before and after the collision must be the same, meaning the momentum of one puck will be transferred to the other, resulting in a change in velocity.

4. Can two pucks collide and stick together after the impact?

Yes, in an inelastic collision, the two pucks can stick together after impact. This means that the kinetic energy of the system is not conserved, and some energy is lost due to deformation or friction between the two pucks.

5. What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision between two pucks?

An elastic collision is one where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. After the collision, the two pucks will bounce off each other with the same speed and direction as before the impact. In an inelastic collision, some kinetic energy is lost, and the two pucks may stick together or move in different directions with a reduced speed.