Calculating Angular Acceleration for a Pully Problem with a Solid Cylinder

• Thread starter ninjagowoowoo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pully
In summary, the problem involves a solid cylinder of 1.39 kg and 0.137 m radius pivoting on a frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around it pulls downward with a force equal to the weight of a 0.710 kg mass. The angular acceleration of the cylinder can be calculated using this information. In the second scenario, where the actual mass of 0.710 kg is hung from the string, the angular acceleration may be different due to the mass itself accelerating. The system can be analyzed using the equations of motion for linear and angular acceleration, and converting between the two.
ninjagowoowoo
M, a solid cylinder (M=1.39 kg, R=0.137 m) pivots on a thin, fixed, frictionless bearing. A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.710 kg mass, i.e., F = 6.965 N. Calculate the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

That I can do... But then I get...

If instead of the force F an actual mass m = 0.710 kg is hung from the string, find the angular acceleration of the cylinder.

Why would the second situation be different than the first? And could you point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
ninjagowoowoo said:
...A string wrapped around the cylinder pulls downward with a force F which equals the weight of a 0.710 kg mass If instead of the force F an actual mass m = 0.710 kg is hung from the string, find the angular acceleration of the cylinder.
The 0.71 kg mass provides a constant downward force only if it's not accelerating, itself.

I get what you're saying, but I still have no idea where to go from here. Do you think you could give me some more hints? Thanks for the help. :confused:

I have to leave this computer pretty soon, but here's a quick suggestion: The D.E. for the system will have a mass with a linear acceleration and a force, and a moment of inertia with an angular acceleration and a torque. The torque & ang. accel. can be converted to linear units of force & linear accel, and will equal the tension in the line and the acceleration of the mass. Gotta go...

Related to Calculating Angular Acceleration for a Pully Problem with a Solid Cylinder

1. What is a simple pulley problem?

A simple pulley problem involves a system of pulleys where a single rope or cable is used to lift or move an object. The pulleys are used to change the direction of the force applied, making it easier to lift heavy objects.

2. How does a simple pulley system work?

In a simple pulley system, one end of the rope is attached to the object being lifted, while the other end is pulled by a person or machine. The rope is looped around one or more pulleys, and the force applied is distributed evenly across all the pulleys to make lifting easier.

3. What are the advantages of using a pulley system?

A pulley system can make it easier to lift heavy objects, as the weight is distributed across multiple pulleys. It also allows for the direction of the force to be changed, making it possible to lift objects vertically or horizontally.

4. How do I calculate the mechanical advantage of a simple pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a simple pulley system is determined by counting the number of ropes supporting the object being lifted. Each additional rope adds a mechanical advantage of 1. For example, if there are 3 ropes supporting the object, the mechanical advantage is 3.

5. Are there any limitations to using a simple pulley system?

One limitation of a simple pulley system is that it cannot increase the total amount of work that needs to be done. It can only distribute the force needed to lift an object. Additionally, friction in the pulley system can reduce the efficiency and effectiveness of the system.