Calculating Angular Speed of Playground Merry-Go-Round

In summary, the moment of inertia is 250 kg.m^2, the initial angular speed is 10.0 rev/min, the child's mass is 25.0kg, and the radius is 2.00m. The new angular speed of the merry-go-round can be calculated using the conservation of angular momentum equation.
Husker70

Homework Statement

A playground merry-go round of Radius R=2.00m has a moment of
inertia I = 250 kg.m^2 and is rotating at 10.0 rev/min about a frictionless
vertical axle. Facing the axle a 25.0kg child hops onto the merry go round
and manages to sit down on the edge. What is the new angular speed of
the merry go round?

Homework Equations

I = 250 kg.m^2
10.0 rev/min
25.0kg child
radius = 2.00m

I=r^2m
L = r x p
L = Iw

The Attempt at a Solution

I = r^2m
m = I/r^2
m = 250kg.m^2/(2.00m)^2 = 62.5kg

I added the 62.5kg + 25.0kg = 87.5kg

I = r^2m
= (2.00m)^2(87.5kg) = 350kg.m^2

I don't know what to do with this from here.
Thanks for any help,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the conservation of angular momentum

To calculate the new angular speed of the merry-go-round, we can use the conservation of angular momentum equation, which states that the initial angular momentum is equal to the final angular momentum. In this case, the initial angular momentum is given by L = Iω, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the initial angular speed of the merry-go-round (10.0 rev/min). The final angular momentum is given by L = (I+mR^2)ω, where m is the added mass (25.0 kg) and R is the radius of the merry-go-round (2.00 m). Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for ω, we get:

Iω = (I+mR^2)ω
I = I+mR^2
ω = I/(I+mR^2)

Plugging in the given values, we get:

ω = 250 kg.m^2/(250 kg.m^2 + 25.0 kg * (2.00 m)^2)
ω = 250/350 = 0.714 rev/min

Therefore, the new angular speed of the merry-go-round is 0.714 rev/min.

Related to Calculating Angular Speed of Playground Merry-Go-Round

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point. It is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

2. How do you calculate angular speed?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angular displacement (the change in angle) by the time taken to make that change. The formula for angular speed is: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular speed in radians per second, Δθ is the angular displacement in radians, and Δt is the time taken in seconds.

3. What is the difference between angular speed and linear speed?

Angular speed is a measure of how fast an object is rotating, while linear speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second, while linear speed is measured in meters per second.

4. How does the radius of the merry-go-round affect its angular speed?

The radius of the merry-go-round does not affect its angular speed. This is because angular speed is only dependent on the angular displacement and time, not the distance traveled. However, the radius does affect the linear speed of a point on the merry-go-round, as points farther from the center have a larger linear speed than points closer to the center.

5. Why is it important to calculate the angular speed of a playground merry-go-round?

Calculating the angular speed of a playground merry-go-round is important for several reasons. It allows us to understand the motion of the object, which is important for safety considerations. It also allows us to compare the motion of different objects and make predictions about their behavior. Additionally, knowing the angular speed can help us calculate other important quantities, such as angular acceleration and centripetal force.

Back