Calculating Apparent Volume and Density: A Geologist's Guide

In summary: The first problem is more complicated.The solid has a given volume which is not apparent at all.It's the same volume whether it's sunk in water,air or any other fluid.Incomplessible.For air it doesn't really hold,but let's give credit to Archimedes. The second problem is more complicated.The solid has a given volume which is not apparent at all.It's the same volume whether it's sunk in water,air or any other fluid.Incomplessible.For air it doesn't really hold,but let's give credit to Archimedes. F_{Archimedes} is the buoyant force. mg is the real gravity force,and G_{apparent}^{air}
tmkgemini
To verify her suspicion that a rock specimen is hollow, a geologist weighs the specimen in air and in water. She finds that the specimen weighs twice as much in air as it does in water. The solid part of the specimen has a density of 5.13×103kg/m3. What fraction of the specimen's apparent volume is solid?

I tried setting up a ratio of densities but it didn't work at all... please help!

I also need help with this one:

A geologist finds that a moon rock whose mass is 9.22kg has an apparent mass of 5.58kg when submerged in water. What is the density of the rock?

I tried using the equation W=pvg and it didn't get me the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
tmkgemini said:
To verify her suspicion that a rock specimen is hollow, a geologist weighs the specimen in air and in water. She finds that the specimen weighs twice as much in air as it does in water. The solid part of the specimen has a density of 5.13×103kg/m3. What fraction of the specimen's apparent volume is solid?

I tried setting up a ratio of densities but it didn't work at all... please help!

I also need help with this one:

A geologist finds that a moon rock whose mass is 9.22kg has an apparent mass of 5.58kg when submerged in water. What is the density of the rock?

I tried using the equation W=pvg and it didn't get me the right answer.

The first problem is more complicated.The solid has a given volume which is not apparent at all.It's the same volume whether it's sunk in water,air or any other fluid.Incomplessible.For air it doesn't really hold,but let's give credit to Archimedes.
I hope to be familiar with the notations used:
[tex] G_{apparent}^{water}=mg-F_{Archimedes} ^{water} [/tex]
[tex] G_{apparent}^{air}=mg-F_{Archimedes}^{air} [/tex]
[tex] G_{apparent}^{air}=2G_{apparent}^{water} [/tex] ($)
[tex] \rho_{real}^{body}=...? [/tex]
[tex]F_{Archimedes}^{air}=V_{body} \rho_{air} g [/tex]
[tex]F_{Archimedes}^{water}=V_{body} \rho_{water} g [/tex]
[tex]G_{apparent}^{air}= V_{body}g(\rho_{real}^{body}-\rho^{air}) [/tex]
[tex]G_{apparent}^{water}=V_{body}g(\rho_{real}^{body}-\rho^{water}) [/tex]

From the last 2 equations and the relation ($) u'll be given that:
[tex] \rho_{real}^{body}=2\rho^{water}-\rho^{air} [/tex] ($$)

[tex]\rho_{real}^{body}=\frac{\rho^{air}V_{inside}^{air}+\rho_{exterior}^{solid}V_{exterior}^{solid}}{V_{body}} [/tex]

Daniel.

second question :

5.58*g = -9.22*g + pVg where p is 1000kg/m³ (waterdensity)... and solve for V...

V is the volume of the object...

density : 9.22/V

regards
marlon, just of the top of my head...lol

Last edited:
From the last equation,u'll need the quantity:
[tex]\frac{V_{exterior}^{solid}}{V_{body}} [/tex].
Make some more simple manipulations of the forumulas and u'll finnally be having:
[tex] \frac{V_{exterior}^{solid}}{V_{body}}= \frac{\rho_{real}^{body} -\rho_{air}}{\rho_{solid}-\rho_{air}} [/tex]
,which could be put in the more "familiar" way:
[tex] \frac{V_{exterior}^{solid}}{V_{body}}=2\frac{\rho_{water}-\rho_{air}}{\rho_{solid}-\rho_{air}} [/tex]
,which rounds roughly to 0,4.

1.Apply the same kind of logics assuming the stone was filled with water instead of air.What would change in the prior arguments?? Would the final number differ?
2.Use the same kind of technics to solve the second problem and to check Marlon's guessing...( :wink: ).

Daniel.

I don't have this problem, but I don't understand number one and what you did. Could you explain it better? I'm not sure what G is and all of that. Thanks!

Angie913 said:
I don't have this problem, but I don't understand number one and what you did. Could you explain it better? I'm not sure what G is and all of that. Thanks!

G is the apparent gravity force.mg is the real gravity force,and F_{Archimedes} is the buoyant force.
I think it's clear enough.

Related to Calculating Apparent Volume and Density: A Geologist's Guide

What is density and why is it important?

Density is a measure of how much mass is contained in a given volume. It is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of different materials, and it can be used to identify substances.

How is density calculated?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of an object by its volume. The formula for density is density = mass/volume.

What are the units for density?

The most common units for density are grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3), but it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per cubic inch (lb/in3) or ounces per cubic foot (oz/ft3).

How does density affect buoyancy?

Density plays a key role in determining whether an object will float or sink in a fluid. If an object's density is greater than the density of the fluid it is placed in, it will sink. If its density is less than the fluid's density, it will float. This is why objects like boats and ships are designed to have a lower density than water.

Can density change?

Yes, density can change depending on the temperature and pressure of the substance. For example, when a gas is compressed, its particles become closer together, increasing its density. When a substance is heated, its particles move faster and take up more space, decreasing its density. However, the mass of a substance remains constant, so density is a useful measurement for identifying substances even if their volume changes.