Calculating Applied Force for Lifting a 450 kg Car with a Scissors Jack

• Thread starter Chemlach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the problem involves a 450 kg car being lifted by a scissors jack at an angle of 15°. The question is asking for the applied force needed to lift the car. By drawing a free body diagram, the equation F=mg/2cos15° is obtained, equaling 2280. However, the correct answer is 1180, suggesting an error in the calculation. Further analysis shows that the force required to restrain the net outward force of the jack is the desired applied force.
Chemlach
1. The Problem is a simple scissors jack has lifted a 450 kg car and the angle of the arms of the jack are 15° as seen in the attached drawing

2. The question is what is the applied force required to lift the 450 kg mass?

3. I drew my free body diagram and got that F=mg/2cos15°, which comes out to 2280. But the answer is 1180 so I must have missed something. Could you let me know where I went wrong?

Attachments

• scissor Jack problem.pdf
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,158
Physics news on Phys.org
Chemlach said:
1. The Problem is a simple scissors jack has lifted a 450 kg car and the angle of the arms of the jack are 15° as seen in the attached drawing

2. The question is what is the applied force required to lift the 450 kg mass?

3. I drew my free body diagram and got that F=mg/2cos15°, which comes out to 2280. But the answer is 1180 so I must have missed something. Could you let me know where I went wrong?

The weight of the car will be split into two forces traveling down the jack struts from the top. By symmetry these forces will be the same, and their resultant will equal the weight of the car.

Now consider the joint where one of the struts meets one of the bottom struts. The force transmitted down the upper strut is met with a similar force coming up from the bottom strut (again by symmetry) directed along the bottom strut. The force required to 'restrain' the net outward force (resultant of those two forces) is what you're looking for.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52449&stc=1&d=1351543760.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 3,926

Related to Calculating Applied Force for Lifting a 450 kg Car with a Scissors Jack

1. What is a scissors jack force?

A scissors jack force is a type of mechanical force that is used to lift heavy objects. It works by using a pair of interlocking metal arms that are connected by a pivot joint. When the arms are pushed together, the pivot joint moves up, causing the arms to extend and lift the object.

2. How does a scissors jack force work?

A scissors jack force works through a combination of simple machines, including the lever and the fulcrum. When force is applied to one arm of the jack, it creates a mechanical advantage that allows the object to be lifted with less effort.

3. What are the advantages of using a scissors jack force?

One of the main advantages of using a scissors jack force is its compact design. It can be easily stored and transported, making it a convenient tool to have on hand. Additionally, it can lift heavy objects with relatively little effort, making it a useful tool for tasks such as changing a car tire.

4. What types of objects can a scissors jack force lift?

A scissors jack force can lift a variety of objects, including cars, furniture, and other heavy items. However, the amount of weight it can lift will depend on the specific design and strength of the jack.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a scissors jack force?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a scissors jack force. It is important to make sure the jack is on a stable and level surface before using it. It is also recommended to use jack stands to support the lifted object for added stability. Additionally, always follow the manufacturer's instructions and never exceed the weight limit of the jack.

Back