Calculating Arc Length for a Circling Airplane

In summary, there is a problem where an airplane is circling an airport control tower at a distance of 4.5 km. The formula F=mv^2/r may be useful in calculating the length of arc the plane travels, but it is unclear what the radius of the circle is without knowing the altitude or angle of inclination. Assuming the radius is 4.5 km, the circumference of the circle would be 20 km, but without this assumption, there are multiple solutions to the problem. Ultimately, spending an hour on a question is not helpful and it may be best to seek help after 15 minutes.
DethRose
Hey been working on this problem for an hour.

An airplane circles the airport control tower 1.0 times while 4.5 km away. Calculate the length of arc through which the plane travels.

The only formula i can think of that remotely resembles something to be use on this is F=mv^2/r

please help have an exam today haha

thanks alot

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the arc-length of 1 revolution around a circle is simply the circumference of that circle. However, in this problem, I'm not sure how you know the circle's radius, since it doesn't tell you at what altitude the plane is when it begins circling. For example, if it was directly 4.5km overhead, then the radius would be 0 (an extreme case), or if it was somewhere in between, it's radius would obviously increase accordingly. Were you not given the altitude?

nope...thats the exact question i was given

Umm, I think you are to assume that the radius is 4.5 km, and that the plane is 4.5 km away is not referring to altitude at all. If this isn't the case then you can't solve it, as mjfairch eluded to. Another quick suggestion, don't spend an hour on a question. It does you no good. On a test, you aren't given an hour to solve problems. So i suggest, just get help after about 15 mins. You're really not helping yourself by spending so much time on questions.

Were you given a picture or the angle of inclination from the tower to the plane? Do you see my point, or am I misreading the problem somehow?

For example, suppose the origin of a right-handed coordinate system is where the ground meets the tower, and the angle up from the ground to the tower was 45 degrees. Then, using basic trig, the radius of its circle would be [itex]r=4.5\cos(45^\circ)=3.18[/itex]km. Of course, its circumference is then [itex]C=2\pi r=20.0[/itex]km. If the inclination were [itex]30^\circ[/itex], however, then we'd have [itex]C=24.5[/itex]km using the same math.

Without an altitude or angle of inclination, you might assume 4.5km is the radius as Parth Dave suggests. Else, the problem results in a 1-parameter family of solutions (with the altitude or angle being the parameter).

nope that's all i was given

you guys think way too hard.

2*pi*R

R=4.5km

fulham:

exactly.

Related to Calculating Arc Length for a Circling Airplane

1. What is rotational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed point, known as the axis of rotation. It is characterized by the rotation of an object about an axis, as opposed to linear motion which involves movement in a straight line.

2. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

3. How is rotational motion different from linear motion?

The main difference between rotational motion and linear motion is the type of movement involved. Linear motion involves movement in a straight line, while rotational motion involves movement around an axis. Additionally, rotational motion is affected by torque, while linear motion is affected by force.

4. What factors affect rotational motion?

Several factors can affect rotational motion, including the mass and shape of the object, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the amount of torque applied to the object. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also impact rotational motion.

5. How is rotational motion used in real life?

Rotational motion is used in many aspects of daily life, such as in machinery, vehicles, and sports. Examples include the rotation of tires on a car, the spinning of a wheel on a bike, and the throwing of a ball in sports like baseball and basketball. Understanding rotational motion is also important in fields such as engineering and physics.